Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Fitness apps allow you to get in shape, track progress

C25K and Map My Run are two fitness apps that can help you get into shape, track your progress and set goals. 

Recently, I did the unthinkable: I began jogging. My roommate and I have always been a fan of taking long walks and hikes, but we decided to start to try and do a little bit more. I’m not a great runner, and I never have been.

After trying one day of making up my own intervals to start jogging, I decided that I needed to have a more structured program that I’d be able to follow, so I downloaded C25K — just one of the many apps that allows you to follow the popular “Couch to 5K” workout plan. Those apps allow you to start at week one with minimal running skills and complete the program being able to finish a 5K run.

The app that I downloaded is pretty simple. It has 24 pre-made plans that span over eight weeks. It gives you voice coaching about what to do, and you can complete it in as much or little time as you need. It has it scheduled with three workouts a week for eight weeks, but I’ve been going a bit quicker than that.

For example, the first week has you doing a five-minute warm up walk and then switching off between 60-seconds of running and 90-seconds of walking eight times. Each week, the intensity gets amped up a little more until you’re able to run 3.1 miles.

On other apps, like the Under Armour “Run Trainer,” you can put in more information about yourself — the distance you want to achieve, your current fitness level and how long you’re going to train — to make the plan custom to you.

I’ve been trying to go nearly every day, so I’m a bit ahead of myself on the workouts. It’s easy to repeat ones you’ve done or double them up. I think the app (and the others like it) are great because it starts you slow, allows your body to adapt as you go and also makes you feel a sense of accomplishment every day. I’ve been an avid anti-runner, and the app has made me excited to get my jog in every day.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="37f58db4-8d4e-11e5-bc68-d799495bd29e"}}

To complement that, I downloaded Map My Run. The app allows you to GPS track your run (or bike ride, walk or other activities) along with some of the details — like distance, time and pace. It acts like a personal workout journal. You can also follow friends, check on other popular routes in your area and compete in long-term workout challenges.

Though that might be overkill for someone just starting to run, the apps are great because you can look back on your progress, set goals and plan for your next jog. I’d really recommend them to anyone trying to start running — or for those that already do.

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. Have you ever used any apps like these? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu.