Ohio's Matt Rudin gets a pass off as Bryan Lubin jumps to avoid West Virginia's Tyler Collard as he slides across the ice in Bird Arena on Oct. 2.

Hockey: Former Ohio coach lands job with Dallas Stars

Former Ohio coach Jonathon Sheridan has been hired by the Dallas Stars. 

Former Ohio coach Jonathon Sheridan is the new senior hockey manager of the NHL’s Dallas Stars. 

Sheridan was an assistant coach at Ohio during the 2012-13 season and served as the head coach for the 2013-14 season. 

Sheridan, 28, said he earned the job through his connection with Dan Morris, who spent 12 years as Ohio’s head coach. 

Morris, who is now the general manager of the Stars’ community rink in Euless, Texas, asked Sheridan if he knew anyone who’d be interested in the job. 

“I told him I’d take a look and see what I could find,” Sheridan said. “Then I kind of read through it, I started to get a little interested myself … and it kind of just unrolled from there.” 

As a senior hockey manager, Sheridan will be in charge of all youth hockey operations at the Euless community rink as well as the adult hockey leagues at five other community rinks in the Dallas area. 

Sheridan credits the opportunities he had at Ohio as both a coach and a graduate assistant for helping him earn his new position. 

“With Ohio giving you alternate roles and it being basically a student-run rink and leagues and everything, you’re thrown into a lot of opportunities where you can grow in your career and see a lot of different aspects (of hockey) in that way,” Sheridan said. 

Recently, Sheridan had been coaching hockey and golf at his alma mater Lawrence University in Wisconsin, where he played NCAA Division III hockey from 2008 to 2011.

@JordanHorrobin

jh950614@ohio.edu