MAC Notebook: West Division champions, either Northern Illinois or Toledo, to be decided in Week 13

Bowling Green (8-3, 6-1 Mid-American Conference) already clinched its spot in the MAC Championship.

It’s the final week of the regular season for college football. Sigh.

That, however, means championship and bowl games are right around the corner.

Bowling Green (8-3, 6-1 Mid-American Conference) already clinched its spot in the MAC Championship in Detroit last week. Week 13 will decide the West Division.

The scenarios are simple: For division-leading Northern Illinois (8-3, 6-1 MAC), win at home against Ohio and it’s in. For second-place Toledo (9-1, 6-1 MAC), it needs both a win against Western Michigan and a Northern Illinois loss. Should both teams lose, Toledo holds the tiebreaker and will win the division.

Great news for John Bonamego

Although his team hasn’t had an outstanding season, Central Michigan’s (6-5, 5-2 MAC) coach John Bonamego received the best news of his life Friday.

On Friday, he announced via social media he is cancer-free after being diagnosed with tonsil cancer in June. 

“(My family) certainly appreciates all the support we got, not just through the CMU family but also around the MAC,” Bonamego said. “We appreciate all the support and prayers from around the league.”

The news for Bonamego was accented by his Chippewas 27-14 win over Kent State (3-8, 2-5), making the Chippewas bowl eligible.

NIU seeking sixth-straight championship appearance

A win Tuesday against Ohio (7-4, 4-3) will send Northern Illinois to Ford Field in Detroit for the third consecutive season.

The defending MAC champions put themselves into the position by holding off Western Michigan (6-5, 5-2), 27-19, Wednesday.

“It’s gonna be another tough, hard-fought game (against Ohio). We need to dot our i's and cross our t’s in order to win this one,” Northern Illinois coach Rod Carey said.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="97861aa8-8c7e-11e5-b793-17c54d15ecee"}}

Most in the city of Toledo will be Bobcat fans on Tuesday, as an Ohio win, and a Toledo win, will crown the Rockets West Division champions.

Miami stops road skid

After losing 22-straight road games, Miami (3-9, 2-6) snapped the streak Saturday with its 20-13 win in Amherst against Massachusetts (2-9, 1-6).

That marks the first away game won by the RedHawks since Sept. 29, 2012 against the Zips.

“I’m ecstatic about how we are finishing the year,” Miami coach Chuck Martin said. “We played our cleanest, smartest game of the year against UMass."

For Massachusetts, next week’s game at Buffalo will be the final game played in the MAC. Earlier this year, the Minutemen declined a full-membership from the MAC. Massachusetts will join Notre Dame, Army and Brigham Young as an independent program for at least the next two seasons.

@HahnJeremyR

jh704614@ohio.edu