Ohio University freshman Grant Engel of Pittsburgh, Pa, stands for a portrait on the golf course at the country club just outside of Athens, Ohio. (ISAAC HALE | STAFF PHOTOGRAPHER)

Men's Golf: Improvements will be made coming out of Fall break

Peyton White hopes to continue his play in the second half of the season. 

As the first half of the season winds down for Ohio, it’s time to evaluate the team through its first four matches. 

Junior Peyton White dominated throughout the first four matches, and contended at the Florida Gulf Coast Classic, where he finished in fifth place. At the time, White was trailing three golfers who were ranked nationally.

According to coach Bob Cooley, White fell on the second day from many gambles where they were not needed. He added that the course at FGCU was one of the hardest that they would face all year, and gambles couldn't be made on a course like that.

One player who has been consistent is sophomore Grant Engel. The sophomore shot straight par at the Terrapin Invitational.

“He’s kind of hard to coach because he does his own thing,” Cooley said. “I can’t really argue with it, he’s pretty consistent. If he shoots a three or 4-over I know he’ll come back down and shoot even.”

Junior Ty Herriott continues to improve and minimize his streakiness every time he plays, according to Cooley. 

“He has some great talent,” Cooley said about Herriott. “But if he has a couple bad holes, he can get down on himself. He just needs to play one hole at a time, and keep a smile on his face.”

Freshman Ben Sattler broke onto the scene this fall, playing all four tournaments. According to coach Cooley, Sattler will continue to improve with time and will be a key contributor in the years to come. 

This winter, the team will be lifting as much as they can, along with renting out Walter Fieldhouse to work on their drives and chipping, said Cooley. 

Play will start up again February with Mid-American Match Play, where the Bobcats will prove where they stand in terms of the conference. This will all lead up to the Mid-American Conference Tournament, what Ohio has been building up to since late August.

pn997515@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96