Kenyetta Whitfield

Popular Progression: Refusal of refugees is about more than security; students need to do their research

Columnist Kenyetta Whitfield argues that states' banning of Syrian refugees is based more on Islamophobia than actual security threats, and students should do their research to be informed about the ongoing debate.

Since the terrible terrorist attacks in Paris on Nov. 13, I've found my Facebook feed filled with articles about American politicians with a lot to say. Many have urged the federal government to ban Syrian refugees from entering the country. Many have decided that it is against the best interest of their state to allow the refugees enter. Either way it is a tragic and ignorant decision.

According to Forbes, 31 governors have issued statements saying they are barring Syrian refugees from settling in their state. This list currently includes: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Kansas, Louisiana, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Nebraska, Nevada, New Jersey, North Carolina, Ohio, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Wisconsin and Wyoming.

There are a few reasons why these governors' decisions are outrageous, one of which is the fact that states do not have the authority to ban refugees from residing in their state. However, if there is a general consensus among state lawmakers, they can making life extremely difficult and nightmarish for the refugees. State governments can attempt to keep refugees from job training as well as resources to help them assimilate.

The important thing for students to remember is that the decision to bar Syrian refugees is not based solely out of fear for American lives. The decision is inherently Islamophobic and xenophobic. Jeb Bush and Ted Cruz have expressed their belief that rather than banning Syrian refugees, American should only accept Christian refugees. The belief that Christian refugees are somehow inherently good and Muslim refugees are inherently dangerous is a textbook example of Islamophobia.

This week President Obama said in a speech that the United States should continue to accept refugees. However, a bill passed by the House of Representatives could limit how many refugees are admitted to the United States. In the wake of this frantic war over refugees, many have cited the percentage of military-age men that come to America from Syria as a defense against banning refugees. The same stats have been used in favor of banning them.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a663f1a8-8bf7-11e5-aaf5-ab0ccb948ad9"}}

It is important that students and young people urge their state representatives and lawmakers to acknowledge and represent their viewpoints. I have spoken with many students who want the U.S. to accept refugees, and it is important that policy makers know this. It is ironic that as we approach Thanksgiving, a holiday in which Native Americans helped strangers from Europe (people we now call American), people urge for the banning of people in need of help and freedom.

Many young people and people in general may find that they do not know much about refugees and how they are accepted into America, but it is important that they do their research. Being influenced by Islamophobia because of the recent ISIS attacks is ignorant. 

Kenyetta Whitfield is a sophomore studying journalism. What do you think about states barring Syrian refugees? Tweet Kenyetta @Ken_Whitty or email her at kw162913@ohio.edu.