Post Haste

Post Haste: Beware, it's Friday the thirteenth; OU Student Union held a rally by Baker

They actually are more common than you'd think.

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Friday, Nov. 13, 2015:

Just when you thought you’d escaped the spooky for another year, it’s Friday the 13th.

And that’s more normal than you might think. In fact, the thirteenth day of a month is slightly more likely to fall on a Friday than any other day. 

You might even consider getting in on the stock market this morning, as share prices on Friday the 13th tend to rally — though we don’t know why exactly that is.

Whatever you do, watch your step. The streets and sidewalks of Athens are full of cracks. Your mother will thank you.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

The wind is going to keep gusting today, and it’ll be a little cooler. High of 52 degrees. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab.)

News

• Ohio University just posted the job for the new head of the Survivor Advocacy Program. (The Post)

• OU Student Union held a “campus democracy” demonstration Thursday evening. (The Post)

• Interest is starting to roll in for the future opening for Athens' spot in the state legislature. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times

The men’s and women’s cross country teams are away at NCAA regionals today. Swimming and diving has a home meet with Marshall tonight at 5 p.m. Volleyball will take on Buffalo tonight at 7 p.m. in the Convo.

Women’s basketball officially kicks off its season this Sunday at Illinois. The team was pretty good last year, so ought to be one to watch.

You might also want to know ...

The Federal government announced Thursday it might ban smoking in public housing. (NYT)

There’s a used car vending machine in Tennessee. (Tennessean)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens bar specials

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.