Post Health

Post Health: Researchers have developed a poop pill that could save your life

Post Health goes into the bowels of a new pill that treats an otherwise untreatable infection.

Researchers at a non-profit organization recently made a huge medical breakthrough that involves putting poop in a pill and distributing it to people.

According to the New York Times, OpenBiome, a microbe research non-profit, introduced a new pill for people who suffer from Clostridium difficile infections, an antibiotic-resistant malady that causes gastrointestinal problems which affects roughly 450,000 Americans each year, and kills 15,000 of them.

Although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration has not given its approval to the new pill, it won’t take any action because of the lack of alternative ways to treat the infection, according to the Times.

There doesn't seem to be any plans to produce an equivalent pill without human feces as an ingredient.

So, for once, it won’t be the same shit on a different day.

***

If you’re like me, you prefer to get your yearly flu shot in its nasal form. However, we might have to suck it up and face the needle this year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="da9da38a-8704-11e5-832a-1b3c274ab72c"}}

The Washington Post published an article detailing the nationwide shortage of FluMist, the nasal alternative to an arm injection. Normally, 14 to 15 million doses of FluMist are shipped out per season, but this year the supply decreased to only 6 million doses with AstraZenaca promising more shipments in the coming weeks.

So, on the bright side, at least you’ll get a cool Band-Aid while trying to stay healthy in those petri dishes we call lectures halls.

@LukeFurmanOU

lf491413@ohio.edu