OU President Roderick McDavis speaks at the Student Senate meeting Oct. 7.

Senate to take a second look at tabled election resolutions

Ohio University Student Senate will take a second look Wednesday at several election resolutions tabled last week.

At its meeting Wednesday, Ohio University's Student Senate will move to throw out a resolution proposed last week that would have increased the independent election spending caps to $900 and replace it with a resolution that caps individual funding at $150.

The newly proposed spending cap would limit the spending of all individual candidates to $150, whether they are running as a part of a ticket or independently. Tickets would be capped at $1000.

These numbers are a result of an election committee meeting held Thursday.

“We took into consideration all of the senate members concerns with the spending cap that we originally proposed, and we’re taking information from Ohio State and Marshall,” Landen Lama, lead senate parliamentarian and elections committee chair, said. “We looked at a new plan and I pitched the idea to the committee that we should do a cap per individual.”

On Wednesday the body will hear all of the election resolutions tabled at last week’s meeting, including a resolution to amend the contributions cap on campaigns and a resolution to set a cap on in-kind donations. Flyers, t-shirts, buttons, candy and more qualify as in-kind donations.

Another election resolution, tabled last week for a clerical error, will attempt to redefine the structure of senate tickets. It would require that green senators, off-campus senators and academic college senators run independently.

“There are definitely some senators who have known this is what we’re proposing and have been very against it,” Jared Ohnsman, senate’s vice president said. “I think that will be a big area of debate.”

The goal of the resolution is to increase accountability for green, off-campus and academic college senators by requiring them to interact more frequently with students they are representing during the campaign period, Noah Hajivandi, environmental affairs vice-commissioner, said.

“Actually having the College of Arts and Sciences senators who are running have to individually go out and do it on their own is important,” Ohnsman said. “It helps you kind of learn what that person actually wants to do in the college.”

Also at Wednesday’s meeting, Jenny Hall-Jones, dean of students and interim vice president for Student Affairs, will give a presentation updating the body on the status of the OU Survivor Advocacy Program, which temporarily closed.

@mayganbeeler

mb076912@ohio.edu