Davoran

Senior Citizen: Don't be afraid to bring up controversial topics over Thanksgiving break

Columnist Erin Davoran stresses the importance of talking to family and friends about current events, even if they're controversial.

What are the three subjects we are told not to discuss at family parties? Sex, religion and politics.

What are the three subjects I think we should be discussing, especially with our families? Sex, religion and politics.

We aren’t supposed to talk about them because it can get uncomfortable, fast. They’re hot topics, personal topics, that people usually feel very strongly about. We don’t want to upset or offend people, especially older people in our families we are taught to respect and abide by.

I think we should respectfully have these conversations, even though they are tough. Now, maybe you shouldn't let it ruin your Thanksgiving dinner, though Thanksgiving itself is based on religion and politics and the genocide of most American Indians, but I digress.

Have a nice dinner. Answer all the basic questions from the relatives you see a few times a year: School’s hard but good. No, I’m not seeing anyone right now. I’m not sure what I’m doing after graduation. Yes, I lost a few pounds, though the three plates of turkey and stuffing I just ate will catch up with me in a day or two.

But I say, don’t be afraid to talk about sensitive subjects. Talk about ISIS and Syria. You might be surprised about how knowledgeable your uncle is on foreign conflicts. Talk about Mizzou. Your grandma might share some stories from her childhood during the Civil Rights era and you can discuss the role protests and strikes play in combating racism. Talk about political issues that directly affect you, like student debt. You might learn from other family members’ life experiences, and you might have a perspective your older relatives would appreciate learning.

Bridge the generation gaps. Go beyond the boundaries of polite conversation. Listen and participate. Learn and teach.

That goes past the holiday dinner table as well. After discussing the past week’s TV episodes of The Walking Dead or How to Get Away With Murder, ask your roommates what news they’ve read or seen lately. Share a think-piece on the current wave of Islamophobia on Facebook (fair warning: political discussions on Facebook often lead you down rabbit holes, especially since much gets lost in translation in comments and emojis). Discuss with your friends, significant other, parents, etc. what can be done to help get homeless veterans off the streets or how troublesome it is that the Ohio University Survivor Advocacy Program has been suspended.

My column is called Senior Citizen because although much of my life is consumed by being a senior in college trying to pass classes and appreciate my last months in Athens, I’m also a citizen of the world who has the right and duty to vote, care, stay informed and have opinions (and occasionally share those opinions in my columns).

You are a student and citizen, too. You have a perspective unique to your life and your experiences. Share it.

In a group chat with some of my friends, we are discussing the refugee crisis. When I FaceTime my parents, we discuss things like the latest presidential  debate or the wage gap. While listening to *NSYNC on a car ride the other day, my friend and I had a conversation about consent and sexual assault.

Get out of your comfort zone and talk about important things. If we are too polite or timid to talk about the issues, nothing will ever change. It’s time to change. It’s time we talk.

Erin Davoran is a senior studying journalism. What are you thinking about bringing up with family and friends over Thanksgiving break? Tweet her @erindavoran or email her at ed414911@ohio.edu.