Ohio University President Roderick McDavis speaks at the Student Senate meeting Oct. 7. 

Student Senate to vote to fund showing of documentary on masculinity and sexual violence prevention

Ohio University Student Senate will vote at its meeting Wednesday to pass a budget that would fund the rental of The Athena Cinema for a second showing My Masculinity Helps.

Ohio University Student Senate will vote at its meeting Wednesday to pass a budget that would fund the rental of The Athena Cinema for a second showing of a documentary that focuses on the role of men in sexual violence prevention.

The first showing of the documentary My Masculinity Helps took place at the end of September in Alden Library. The film emphasizes how black men can use their masculinity to fight rape culture and be active bystanders, Brittany Mitchell, black affairs commissioner, said.

“I think it’s very relevant today at OU, especially with things like frat culture, it’s really, really important,” Mitchell said. “It’s a nice film, it’s not that long and it sparks interesting discussion afterward.”

If the budget passes, the showing will include free popcorn for those attending and will be advertised by posters spread across campus. The total budget for the event is $433.

“The first showing, I believe, was predominantly senate members and people who are already involved in this type of community, whereas this (Athena) showing will be more open to the public and also has a conversation afterward that fosters thought on it,” Jacob Haskins, budget committee chair and off-campus senator, said. 

Senate will also look to vote on a resolution to fund the registration and hotel stay for three Women’s Affairs Commission members attending The National Women’s Studies Association Conference in Milwaukee, Wisconsin later this month.

The budget would allot $836 for hotel rooms for four nights and $465 for registration, adding up to a $1,301 total budget for the event.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4264a6dc-7e70-11e5-bf4c-632cc1406d30"}}

“This is a bigger amount than what we’re used to, but essentially we decided it would be best to approve and let the senate body decide as a whole,” Haskins said.

The commission plans to gather information at the conference that can be turned into a presentation and shared with the entire senate body. 

“If they feel it’s important, I’m going to obviously listen to what they’re saying about it,” Student Senate President Gabby Bacha said. “They think it’s important to learn more about women’s issues to bring that back to our body. If there’s any external things they feel like they can be doing to help our internal processes, then from there if they want to put that budget forward I think that’s fine.”

Senate will also consider a resolution to appoint OU student Najah Braswell as a Minority Affairs Commission delegate.

mayganbeeler@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler