Emma Ockerman

What 'Post' editor-in-chief read this week: Week 14 (you're almost there)

What the 'Post' editor-in-chief read this week and what you should check out, too. 

Today is not Sunday. Today is the start of exactly two weeks that feel just like Monday, again and again, until you're back home. 

To call it "finals week" is practically a lie. It is more like Finals Era, or Finals Month. Anyway, we're almost living in it now. Ha ha.

Here's what I read this past week:

1. If Ohio University was still on the quarters system, you'd be home for the holidays right now. Seriously. According to a Post article published before we left for Thanskgiving, the last day of Fall Semester used to be the Tuesday before Thanksgiving, and students returned the first Tuesday in January. That happened until 2012, when Ohio University switched to semesters. 

2. In the past 10 years, Ohio University has paid more than $2.2 million in the Ohio Court of Claims in various suits against the school, according to a Post report. Some of court cases resulted in cash for new laptops, vehicle repairs or even settlements of $1 million for a wrongful death suit for a student who died of bacterial meningitis in 2010.

3. U.S. District Judge Terrence Berg and his wife, Anita Sevier, had a lot of reasons to be regrettably unthankful this past Thanksgiving, The Detroit Free Press writes. Berg was shot, and Sevier had cancer. Still, both count themselves lucky and mailed more than 500 "thank you" cards to those that helped them through hard times. One quote from the story: ​"They say a bone that's healed is stronger than before. When I think of all we've been through, maybe we're all stronger."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a6594304-914a-11e5-9dfc-7fd4658b5f3a"}}

4. This is more of an interactive graphic than a story, but Vox penned this piece on the racism and paranoia behind Japanese internment camps during WWII. After the bombing of Pearl Harbor, the United States relocated and imprisoned nearly 110,000 Japanese Americans. Almost half of those internees had never even been to Japan.

Emma Ockerman is a junior studying journalism at Ohio University and editor-in-chief of The Post. Have something for her to read? Send it to eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her a link @eockerman.