Ohio women's basketball team celebrates when one of its teammates scores during the Ohio vs. Wilmington College game. Ohio won Saturday 97-41.

Women's basketball: Bobcats blow out Quakers 97-41

The freshmen scored 43 points in Saturday's win.

Ohio’s contest with Wilmington College resembled more of a showcase for the reigning Mid-American Conference champions than a preseason exhibition.

Starting the matchup with a 17-0 lead, the Bobcats dismantled the Quakers 97-41 on Saturday afternoon in their last preseason game before the regular season starts next weekend.

“It just feels great to get back on the floor,” junior guard Quiera Lampkins said after the game. “It had been forever since we had played a game, so it’s a great feeling.”

Ohio dominated Wilmington in all aspects, from stretching the floor offensively to get easy open looks, to suffocating defense that forced 28 turnovers.

The usual suspects from the program’s best team — 2014-15 — continued their consistency, as senior guard Kiyanna Black had 12 points and Lampkins finished with 17.

But Ohio also had productive minutes from freshman guard Dominique Doseck, an Athens-native, who ended the game with eight points. Freshman forward Olivia Bower had the strongest performance of the freshmen with 15 points, according to the score sheet.

All 13 players who dressed played, and 12 of them scored. The freshman combined had 43 points.

“Yeah, I’m pleased,” coach Bob Boldon said. “It was a good day. We came in with the intention we were going to play everybody, and we played everybody. It gives us, as a staff, a chance to evaluate.”

The Bobcats, who lacked size in Boldon’s first two years, effectively went inside and picked on the Quakers’ lack thereof.

Even without Mariah Byard and Kat Yelle — Ohio’s two leaders on the court last year — the Bobcats always looked collective and relaxed.

During the week leading up to the game, junior guard Yamonie Jenkins said she wanted to be a new leader on the floor.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="3d627222-81ae-11e5-96ed-4f8957b77260"}}

Jenkins started the game at point guard and also worked at times with a team comprised of all freshmen.

“I think ‘Monie’ has a terrific understanding of what we’re trying to do,” Boldon said. “Along with her leadership quality, she’s a really good communicator. I think the freshmen are probably most comfortable with her at the point …Yamonie just has more experience playing in our system.”

After the games, the members and coaching staff from last year’s team received their MAC championship rings.

Ohio’s regular season begins Nov. 15 at Illinois.