Ohio University redshirt junior Andrew Romanchik grapples withUniversity of Northern Iowa junior Cody Caldwell. The Bobcats defeated the Panthers 20-18 at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on Friday, February 6, 2015. 

Wrestling: Ohio looks to manage weight before start of 2015 season

The wrestling team had its green and white scrimmage Sunday.

Managing weight may seem like what a wrestler is trained to do, but as Ohio begins its 2015-16 campaign, it's still critical for majority of the Bobcats. 

With the "green team" beating the "white team," 19-12, during Sunday’s intrasquad scrimmage, wrestlers such as Spartak Chino and Phil Wellington said how important it was for them to get their own weight down before the season starts. 

“It’s a lot about match preparation, getting my weight down,” Chino said. “I’m just really getting my mind and body right for the matches that actually count.”

During the scrimmage, Chino was on the green team and beat Thomas Williams 13-4 by major decision. Chino said competing at the lower weight of 157 allowed him to attack well on offense.

Wellington was no different, wrestling with much aggression against Nate Hall. Wellington beat Hall 18-6 by major decision. 

“Today I was just looking to get my weight down,” Wellington said. “It’s the first time I was 197 since last season, so that was a big goal for me.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="517c1972-7d8d-11e5-b41d-eff2b6da0813"}}

Wellington said how it would be easier for him next week to get his weight down as the team starts competition.

Ohio's first match of the season will be in Ypsilanti, Michigan at the Eastern Michigan Duals. It will wrestle Northwestern, Edinboro and Michigan State.

“I think we’re pretty good,” Ohio coach Joel Greenlee said. “We’re not where we need to be in March, but I think we’re in good shape, and I’d like to see us better than where we are.”

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu