Bobcat redshirt junior Cody Walters battles with Buffalo's Wally Maziarz. Walters won in a 2-0 decision.

Wrestling: Ohio not afraid of setting high expectations

Ohio heads off to the EMU Duals in Ypsilanti, Michigan. 

After a strong performance last Sunday at the 'Green and White' scrimmage, Phil Wellington isn't scared of setting high expectations for himself this weekend at the EMU Duals.

“I’m definitely expecting to win my weight class for the day,” Wellington said. “I feel like I’m going to go out there and really focus on pushing myself no matter who is across from me on the mat.”

The Eastern Michigan University Duals will take place Saturday, where Ohio will square off against Northwestern, Edinboro and Michigan State.

Wellington said he is "ready to step up to the competition" this weekend, compared to last week's, as well as having no problem making weight this season. Wellington said he feels like he's in the "best shape" of his career. 

“I definitely need to work on pushing myself, and pushing through on my doubles,” Wellington said. “The competition is definitely going to step up, and there are just some little things I have to tweak.” 

One question mark for the Bobcats this weekend is the loss of Tywan Claxton and who will be chosen to fill his singlet.

Late Wednesday afternoon, Claxton announced on Twitter his appeal to the NCAA was denied. Claxton wrestled in the lightweight class of 149.

This opens the door for redshirt sophomore Cullen Cummings to step into Claxton’s role. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="517c1972-7d8d-11e5-b41d-eff2b6da0813"}}

Two freshman could also make their Ohio debut this weekend — Cameron Kelly and Shakur Laney. Coach Joel Greenlee said both performed "very well" at the 'Green and White' scrimmage, especially without any varsity time logged yet.

“I’m not scared of giving expectations. You have the same expectations every time,” Greenlee said. “I don't expect them to ever win or lose, I expect them to go out there and compete to the best of their ability. We don't focus on winning or losing, we focus on wrestling as hard as we can.”

pn997515@ohio.edu

@Pete_Nakos96