Kington

Writing On The Wall: Real Food Challenge campaign is a great opportunity for OU

Columnist Daniel Kington discusses the Real Food Challenge, a national campaign which calls upon universities to purchase 20 percent ‘real food’ by 2020.

I hope you had a great Thanksgiving, Bobcats! I want to take the opportunity, in light of this wonderful holiday, to talk a little bit about food. I am co-coordinator of a campaign called the Real Food Challenge, which operates here at Ohio University under the umbrella of the OU Student Union. RFC is a national campaign trying to shift more than a billion dollars in purchasing power to a real food economy by calling upon universities to purchase 20 percent ‘real food’ by 2020.

RFC defines real food as food that is local and community based, fair/just, humane and ecologically sound. The national organization has put comprehensive standards in place to evaluate a university’s food purchasing budget line by line and determine how much real food is already in the dining halls and how to get up to 20 percent.

Universities across the country have already committed to the Real Food Challenge. Here in Ohio, both Oberlin College and Antioch College have already signed on. Granted, these are small, private schools, but outside of our state public schools have also been leading in the real food revolution. Most notably, the entire University of California System (10 campuses) and the California State University System (23 campuses) have signed on. This proves that Ohio University can too.

Here at OU, our dining halls serve thousands upon thousands of students and, as we all know too well, the cost of meal plans is through the roof. Not only does this mean that the university could afford to reallocate some of that money toward real food, but it means that the university has the opportunity to direct some seriously positive change with the use of its dollars.

Operating within the poorest county in Ohio, I would say that it’s the responsibility of our institution to direct more of its money locally – and specifically toward those local businesses who are treating the people, the animals and the planet fairly. Furthermore, with active campaigns at public schools across the state, including the Ohio State University, OU has the chance to be a statewide leader in responsible procurement and could easily be recognized as such.

However, signing onto the Real Food Challenge does not just mean a reallocation in food purchasing dollars. RFC also represents a reallocation of power. Upon signing the Real Food Challenge Campus Commitment, Ohio University commits to placing students in charge of evaluating the university’s food purchasing and forming a food systems working group comprised of students, staff, faculty, food service managers, food service workers and relevant local stakeholders who will guide the university on the path to 20 percent real food by 2020. In other words, singing the campus commitment will grant decision making power regarding the university’s food purchasing over to those directly affected by the university’s decisions. This sounds rather vague and idyllic, so let me outline what this could mean.

Farmworkers at Sakuma Brothers Farm in Washington have, over the past few years, formed an independent farmworker union to fight systematic wage theft and obtain fair pay and fair treatment in the field. They are struggling to garner recognition from their company and have turned to grassroots organizing, including a call for a boycott of Sakuma/Driscoll's berries, until their union’s demands are recognized with a legally binding contract.

Our university will not simply listen to these workers and keep Sakuma berry products off the shelves. If you walk into market today, as I did recently, I guarantee that you find Driscoll’s berries. However, when we, as concerned students, take a role in the university’s food purchasing, you can be sure that Driscoll’s berries won’t fall under the ‘real’ designation. We will get those berries off the shelves and ensure that our university supports fair treatment of farm workers on the other side of the country.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="94ccdeb6-8e43-11e5-a90d-9f52cae350b1"}}

But it’s not only farmworkers and local producers that have a lot to gain from OU’s signing this commitment – the university itself has a lot to gain as well. Students will do all the work to get us 20 percent, and OU will get all the credit. The nation could soon recognize OU as an institution that directs its dollars responsibly and empowers its students with unique educational opportunities.

If you’re interested in helping with the campaign send me an email or come to one of our weekly meetings Mondays at 6 p.m. in Ellis 120.

Daniel Kington is a sophomore studying English and a Student Union organizer. He is also a co-coordinator of Real Food Challenge at Ohio University. Do you think OU should sign the Real Food Challenge Campus Commitment? Email him at dk982513@ohio.edu.