Sophie Kruse

Gamer Girl: Fun tech gifts to give this holiday season

Columnist Sophie Kruse discusses six fun tech gifts to give your friends and family this holiday season, including 'The World's First 3D Printing Pen' and bags with iPhone charging docks inside them.

The holiday season is a big one in the tech world. If you’re anything like me, you’ve read all the gift guides you can and have slowly been working on accumulating gifts for your loved ones. Here are a handful of fun tech gadgets that you might want to consider getting for someone (or treating yourself with). I can guarantee they will be the most unique gift they’ll receive all year.

Though I lack any kind of artistic skill, I’ve been lusting over the 3Doodler, “The World’s First 3D Printing Pen.” This bad boy allows you to literally draw in the air and create 3D images and mini sculptures. I don’t really understand how it works, but it looks like it could be a blast to play around with — especially if it’s for someone who loves to doodle or create things. The 3Doodler is $99, and additional color packs can also make great stocking stuffers at $10 a pack.

For a gift a little bit pricier, check out the new line of bags released by the designer Kate Spade. Each in the line (a collaboration with Everpurse) features a charging port that allows the user to pop in her iPhone to a dock inside the bag and have it charge. To charge the bag, simply lay it on a flat dock when at home. This could be a game changer.

For someone who loves to watch TV, a fun idea is the FLPR Programmable Universal Remote Control. This little device allows you to turn your iPhone or iPad into a remote control for your TV and stereo system. How many times have you lost the remote when you’re watching a show? As long as they're good at keeping track of their phone, this device could be a perfect gift for a TV fan. 

For someone who loves things to play with, Sphero is a fun pick. It's a little ball that users can control from their smartphones. It can be driven around, comes with two ramps and its pet and water friendly. I know my dogs would get a kick out of this (and so would I).

Wearables are always a hit gift, and the Bellabeat won’t disappoint. This little device can be worn as a necklace or bracelet (it looks like a pretty leaf charm) and tracks your sleep, activity and breathing. Though I have a lot of respect when I see anyone wearing a Fitbit or a device similar, this is perfect for someone who doesn’t want to flash their device.

For someone who loses their things a lot, Tile is the most useful gift you could get them. You can clip these little squares onto anything you find yourself losing frequently and then can track them via Bluetooth from your cell phone. If you’re prone to losing your wallet or keys a lot, this is the solution. 

Sophie Kruse is a senior studying journalism. What’s on your wishlist? Email her at sk139011@ohio.edu.