Ohio's Grant Hazel and Derek Rahme move the puck away from Robert Morris' Stan Sojka during a game at Bird Arena on Nov. 20. 

Hockey: Ohio welcomes No. 7 Iowa State, will close four-game series

The Bobcats bested the Cyclones in Iowa earlier this season and can sweep the season series at home this weekend

Ohio coach Sean Hogan spent his Thanksgiving holiday in the Detroit area with friends and family. Forward Joe Breslin headed to Centerville, Ohio, to celebrate and see his brother after a long time away from home. 

But now, after a full week of rest, and perhaps a day or two of pigging out on turkey,  Hogan, Breslin and the rest of Ohio are back in Athens to prepare for this weekend’s home series against No. 7 Iowa State.

Breslin is someone who particularly benefited from the time off, since he has been battling a nagging ankle injury for weeks. Several consecutive days away from Bird Arena help players like him recover from ailments. 

“I think it’s been good because we needed a bit of a break,” Hogan said. “Our guys came out flying this week, so it’s good.” 

Ohio has the winning formula against Iowa State 

After a long haul out to Ames, Iowa to face the Cyclones earlier this year, the Bobcats will close the four-game series against their division rival at home this weekend. 

Ohio swept Iowa State in the teams’ previous meetings, 5-4 and 1-0, in a shootout. The Bobcats currently sit third in the Central States Collegiate Hockey League standings but could pass the Cyclones with another sweep. 

“What we’ve talked to the guys about is being more consistent,” Hogan said. “Last weekend (Nov. 20-21 against Robert Morris) is a prime example. A 2-0 loss and then winning 6-2. We have to be consistent night in and night out.”

A strong showing at home against a team they’ve proven they can beat could also move the Bobcats up in the national rankings. Ohio (16-3-1) has been ranked No. 10 for several weeks dating back to Nov. 11. 

Harris, Faiella will miss time 

Anyone familiar with ACHA rules knows that forward Michael Harris will miss Friday’s game because he fought in Saturday’s game against Robert Morris. 

Defenseman Jake Faiella, however, is quietly out of Ohio’s lineup “for a while,” according to Hogan, after he aggravated a shoulder injury during the Robert Morris series. 

Both players are two of the best Ohio has at their respective positions, and although Harris is out for a much shorter period, they will both be missed at least on Friday. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="13b1b2c6-99e6-11e5-9a8f-b3befb683720"}}

“Missing our captain and our leading scorer is obviously going to be tough,” Breslin said of Harris’s absence. “But I know it’ll give an opportunity for younger guys to step up and really make their presence known.” 

Hogan said freshman forward Matt Rudin will replace Harris on the top line for Friday’s game. Rudin, who is fifth on the team in scoring and top among freshmen, has filled this role already this season when Breslin and Patrick Spellacy missed time. 

“He’s a physical player, and I can’t say enough good things about him,” Breslin said. “He’ll fit good with our line for that one game that Harris is out.” 

@JordanHorrobin 

jh950614@ohio.edu