Wadly Mompremier, a junior forward, jumps around a Marshall defender Tuesday night. Ohio topped Marshal 85-70. 

Men's Basketball: Ohio travels to Cleveland after week off

Ohio travels to Cleveland to play Cleveland State.

Ohio is set to travel to the Quicken Loans Arena in Cleveland on Saturday and is prepping for Cleveland State after a week off during finals.

Despite a full week of practice, though, Bobcats’ coach Saul Phillips remained adamant there was a laundry list of corrects for his team to do during the seven-day break from competition.

“When you look at our schedule it's definitely a possibility that we could win a lot of games, there's a possibility we could also lose a lot of games,” redshirt senior forward Treg Setty said. "From a team standpoint, we got to make sure our mind is right, and we're ready to compete and get better every day." 

One of the items on the list: transitional defense and turnovers.  

Beating a dead horse, Ohio (4-3) has struggled on defense and turnovers this season, surrendering 77.7 points per game and 241 points (80 points per game) in the past three outings.

Against St. Bonaventure, which Ohio lost 81-68, Phillips said the Bobcats’ interior defense allowed too many inside baskets along with troubles fighting the Bonnies’ pick-and-roll.

Phillips also said there was a 12-minute stretch against the Bonnies where he didn't like how they handled the ball — citing the Bobcats' 13 turnovers. 

“We're very young, but we're very good,” Setty said. "I think as the year goes on, we'll get better and better. Not too worried about record wins, losses." 

Item two on the list: adapting to different lineups.

With freshman Jordan Dartis out against St. Bonaventure because of the stomach flu, Phillips switched up some of his lineups with James Gollon receiving 10 minutes off the bench and Phillips’ two big men, Antonio Campbell and Wadly Mompremier, playing simultaneously. Dartis participated in Monday’s practice, but starter Khari Harley tweaked his back Monday, foreshadowing a potential lineup change up if Harley isn’t ready come Saturday.

Phillips said Saturday’s loss won’t be the last time Ohio may have a key cog of its lineup out.   

Phillips said Harley is day-to-day on Monday, as the starter averages four points per game and is one of the Bobcats' best perimeter defenders. 

Regardless who is playing where, Phillips and company will attempt to win their fifth game of the season — already half of what they won last year. 

“I know this: I would always rather go into a game with Jordan Dartis on my team than not on his team,” Phillips said. "It won't be the last time we have a key player miss time. If you're pinning all your hopes and dreams onto one freshman being able to carry you through a road game ... we had plenty of pieces to win the game." 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu