Kaitlyn McGarvey

The Reel World: Netflix Original Series 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt' is a charming show with a dark side

Columnist Kaitlyn McGarvey discusses the Netflix series 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt,' which she argues has a interesting and positive message for victims of assault and trauma.

The entire time I have been writing this column, I have only focused on movies available on Netflix. In all reality, I have been refusing to acknowledge a very important and popular aspect of Netflix: its myriad of original TV series.

Netflix’s collection of original television shows, deemed “Netflix Originals," are almost exceeding the popularity of the movies that are regularly showcased on the streaming service’s front page. The press coverage that surrounds Orange is the New Black and House of Cards is almost as big as the press coverage surrounding any of the top blockbuster hits coming out of Hollywood.

One series that caught my eye was Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt, which, despite its popularity, only has one season available on Netflix right now. However, according to popsugar.com, season two has been confirmed by officials.

I initially was attracted to Unbreakable was because of the main character,  Kimmy Schmidt. She is portrayed by my officially #WomanCrushWednesday, Ellie Kemper. Kemper previously co-starred as secretary Erin Hannon on the American version of The Office.

In a similar fashion to her previous role, Kemper portrays Kimmy Schmidt as a perky, naive, sunshiney person who is fascinated with the things in life that seem almost unfit to be fascinated with. She lives in the slums of New York with an out-of-work actor under the supervision of a sketchy but endearing landlord. Of course, this is nothing compared to the life Kimmy lived previously.

The premise of the show centers around Kimmy’s efforts to move beyond her past. For 15 years, Kimmy and three other women were kept in an underground bunker by a religious extremist. For years they believed that Judgement Day had come and they were chosen to survive. Once they are discovered, Kimmy does her best to distance herself from her past and moves to New York to start a new life.

Ultimately, Kimmy succeeds. She picks up a job as nanny, enrolls in night school and gets a boyfriend. Audiences can admire Kimmy because of how optimistic she is. Kimmy is her own person. However, not everything is sunshine and light-up sneakers.

Halfway through the series, Kimmy receives a court summons to testify against her captor. Her positive facade is suddenly broken and the audience sees a new side of Kimmy. This side is afraid to face her past and is moderately neurotic. Suddenly, the audience realizes that it has been witnessing a survivor story this entire time. She is a survivor of emotional and physical trauma.

Previously in the series, Kimmy has made passing mention about the “weird sex stuff” and various relatively sadistic practices that occurred in the bunker, but not enough to really warrant any kind of serious concern until Kimmy is asked to testify.

I think the geniusness and likeability of Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt lies in the show’s soft-spoken advocacy for people who are survivors of assault.

Some people may be turned off by the zany and sometimes unrealistically positive image the show puts off, but it is all an exterior that conceals a darker, more realistic message  much like Kimmy herself.

I highly recommend this show to everyone. It may not have the same dramatic, serious edge as Orange is the New Black or House of Cards, but Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt clearly shows that a show does not require a serious tone to talk about serious, life-altering matters.

Kaitlyn McGarvey is a freshman studying journalism. Have you watched 'Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt'? Email her at km451814@ohio.edu or tweet @McGarveyKaitlyn.