Ohio forward Antonio Campbell dunks against Western Michigan guard Taylor Perry in The Convo on Jan 19. Ohio won 82-64. 

Men's Basketball: Bobcats defeat Western Michigan, even with poor health

A few takeaways from Ohio's win against Western Michigan. 

Jaaron Simmons slashed through Western Michigan's zone defense, Gavin Block shot his way to (freshman) fame, and Antonio Campbell was palming rebounds with one hand. 

Yet, coach Saul Phillips wasn't satisfied with his team's performance following it's 82-64 dismantling of Western Michigan on Tuesday in The Convo. 

His honesty with the media is appreciated, even if the Bobcats' win could be a turning point in their season.

Here are a few things taken away from the win: 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4ac8d7ca-bf21-11e5-8925-a79993954540"}}

Health, consistency at depth is pivotal 

With freshman guard Jordan Dartis out because of concussion protocol and Block playing on a bad right hamstring, Ohio's health will be key moving into the meat of conference play. 

The Bobcats aren't the same team without Dartis, who's shooting has provided a spark in the 14 games he's played. The first half against Western Michigan on Tuesday reflected as much.  

With Simmons on the bench because of foul trouble and Dartis sitting his second-straight game, Phillips leaned on freshman guard James Gollon to run the offense. Gollon produced three points and a turnover in seven minutes of play.

He's a decent backup to Simmons, but without Simmons and Dartis on the floor, the Bobcats have trouble in the half-court offense. 

In the three minutes Simmons was out heading into half time, the Bobcats scored just five points, — all from free throws — and turned the ball over in back-to-back possessions. 

With starters Treg Setty and Khari Harley shooting a combined 0-for-8 from the field and some defensive struggles, Phillips luckily found a spark from sophomore guard Mike Laster. Laster scored seven points, three rebounds and defended Western Michigan's best scorer, Thomas Wilder. 

"(Laster) had an impact tonight, it seemed like he was at the right place all the time," Phillips said.

"In a day in age where kids are often entitled, he's probably the least entitled kid I've ever worked with," he added.

Block said Tuesday that his hamstring "feels good" and is going through rehab and staying off it as much as possible. 

Stopping the fouls  

Fouls and not stepping in front of defenders has been Ohio's weakness this year.

Western Michigan attacked Ohio with dribble penetration and multiple back-door cuts, as, universally, the Bobcats have said defense is their Achilles' heel. 

"I don't think we played 'D' that well, honestly," Simmons said. "We still fouled a ton and coach has been on us about that. So, we still got a long way to go, but we're gonna keep working on that in practice." 

The Bobcats committed 22 fouls Tuesday with the Broncos shooting 18-26 at the line. 

This could be detrimental for Ohio moving forward, as Western Michigan's presence in the paint is relatively weak compared to other MAC teams. Part of it comes from losing its best player, Connar Tava, for the season because of a foot injury.

Next up, the Bobcats play at Central Michigan and Toledo, two teams with solid low postmen ( John Simons, Central Michigan and Nathan Boothe, Toledo).

Setty is still battling an illness 

Setty's 0-for-3 night included two easy layups and vomiting mid-game. 

Setty battled through an illness Saturday at Kent too, scoring 12 points in 29 minutes but looked worst Tuesday. 

The redshirt senior record just three early fouls and one turnover in 14 minutes of play against the Broncos. 

"I'm not going to tell you what Treg was doing in the locker room in the first half, but he needed a breath mint afterward," Phillips said. "He wasn't feeling very good."

If Setty is somehow unable to play Saturday — which is unlikely — Phillips will have to alter his starting lineup again. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu