Ohio forward Wadly Mompremier goes up for a point against Western Michigan guard Kellen McCormick in the Convocation Center on Jan. 19. 

Men's Basketball: Ohio almost blows a 22-point lead after a Toledo buzzer-beater rims in-and-out

Jaaron Simmons' 17 assists ties an Ohio University single-game record and propels the Bobcats to a road win over Toledo Tuesday night.

It was almost a complete and utter collapse.

Ohio nearly blew a 22-point lead on the road against Toledo, but outlasted the Rockets’ comeback Tuesday night behind 22 points from forward Kenny Kaminski and 17 assists from guard Jaaron Simmons to win, 81-79. The win gave Ohio its first road win in the Mid-American Conference this season. 

“We were tired of folding,” Simmons said. “I’m at a loss for words, this was our first true road win. I can say this was a fun one.”

With six seconds left and the Bobcats (12-7, 3-4 MAC) up by four, the ball found the hands of Rocket guard Jaelan Sanford and he threw up a desperate 3-pointer.

He crashed to the ground when Ohio forward Treg Setty ran into him. After the first two of his three shots went in, the third bounced off the back iron, but was tipped back out to Toledo (12-8, 3-4 MAC).

The ball was then reversed in front of the Toledo bench to Jonathan Williams who had been waiting with his feet to spoil Ohio's lead. 

The Bobcats hopelessly watched the ball strike the rim. It rolled in-and-out of the basket.

“I thought it was going in,” Simmons said. “It was one of those moments where everything moves in slow motion. When he missed and we got the rebound, it was like we won a championship or something.”

Simmons’ 17 assists are the most in a single game in D-I this season and tied the Ohio record set by D.J. Cooper.

“That doesn’t happen very often in college basketball,” Ohio coach Saul Phillips said. “I’m glad he’s on our team.”

Up by two with 20 seconds left in the second half, Ohio forward Antonio Campbell stripped the ball Toledo forward Nathan Boothe cradled around his waist while trying to draw contact.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="cd67b704-c38c-11e5-9b01-c331bb314f0b"}}

Campbell was placed in the difficult position to guard Boothe, the MAC leading scorer, in the post as the two clashed against each other all night.

Yet, the Ohio forward made the stop when it mattered most.

“A big part of our game plan was that (Campbell) could give Boothe some trouble,” Phillips said. “Tony is a prideful kid. It means a lot to him.”

Just under ten minutes in the first half, the Bobcats found themselves ahead thanks to a 29-9 start.

Kaminski had 12 points in the first half. 

The Rockets got the lead down to seven to end the first half, but the Bobcats hit three consecutive threes to start the second half and regain a comfortable lead. When Ohio later went up by 22, it looked like the Bobcats would cruise to victory.

But Williams and Boothe went on a tear for Toledo, scoring 21 points each in the loss and threatening Ohio's cushion. 

What was going to be an easy Bobcat victory, however, quickly turned into a last second nail-biter.

“This suit needs to go to the dry cleaners,” Phillips said. “I’m just so relieved we were able to get the stops down the stretch.”

@NKairys

nk596613@ohio.edu