Khari Harley finishes a layup during Ohio’s game against Indiana Tech at The Convo. 

Men's Basketball: Ohio attempts to bounce back against Toledo

Ohio will look to bounce back from a lowly outing on the road against Toledo. 

Saturday against Central Michigan was a low point for Ohio. 

The Bobcats' usually high-octane offense scored a pedestrian 49 points, and their attempt to stay competitive within the Mid-American Conference has begun to slip.

But Ohio coach Saul Phillips and Ohio (11-7, 2-4 MAC) can only get better when they travel to Toledo (12-7, 3-3 MAC) on Tuesday night to face the Rockets. 

"We thought we were executing well," junior forward Antonio Campbell said after the loss to the Chippewas. "The shots just weren't falling. It's a matter of knocking down shots. We had good looks."

Campbell's quote epitomizes Ohio's season at this point. 

The Bobcats have looked good on paper, but still are working out kinks: defense, maturity, consistency.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2207a178-c2c7-11e5-ac82-c71fe13b725d"}}

"For a big chunk of the game (against Central Michigan), we defended well enough to win it," Phillips said. "The only thing we were able to establish at all, all night long, was (Campbell) in the post."

Campbell has been a one-man wrecking crew this season. He's averaged close to 16 points and nine rebounds per game this season. 

Campbell was the Bobcats' lone bright spot against Central Michigan, scoring 17 points and garnering 12 rebounds in the dizzying 72-49 loss. 

So don't be surprised if the Bobcats, again, lean on Campbell to reverse their recent downfall and against the Rockets.

Phillips and the Bobcats were unavailable for comment because of travel. 

Toledo, that has two of the best scorers in the MAC in Nathan Boone (19.5 points per game) and Jonathan Williams (17.8 ppg), will attempt to smother an Ohio team that has yet to win a conference game on the road. 

Phillips is 1-11 in MAC road regular season games so far during his tenure with Ohio. 

The Bobcats, contrastingly, will look to double Boone inside the paint and strengthen their 3-point defense. Ohio ranks last (12th) in 3-point defense this season, allowing opponents to shoot 38 percent from beyond the arc. 

The return of freshman Jordan Dartis to Ohio's lineup could help the Bobcats' fortitude around the perimeter. Dartis suffered a concussion on Jan. 15 and missed two games because of concussion protocol. 

Dartis went 0-for-4 from the field against Central Michigan but could strengthen Ohio's defense — a defense still looking for its one "lockdown" defender. 

"With him being out, he takes a completely different role on the team," redshirt forward Kenny Kaminski said last week. "He's done a really great job of it. On the bench he brought a ton of energy (against Western Michigan)." 

Regardless of what happens at Savage Arena in Toledo on Tuesday, Ohio circumstances can't get any worse. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu