Antonio Campbell goes up for a layup over a Kent State defender in Ohio’s game on Jan. 29, 2016. (FILE)

Men's Basketball: Ohio's win against Kent State shows the Bobcats' newfound maturity

Ohio's win against Kent State and Toledo shows the Bobcats' newfound maturity. 

Ohio guard Jaaron Simmons ball-faked a Kent State defender before dribbling inside the arc and almost fumbling the ball out of his finger tips.

He lobbed the ball to forward Treg Setty at the top of the key — who also stumbled around a defender before recuperating the ball with his right hand. Setty would pull up for a mid-range jump shot five minutes left in Friday's 72-61 win. 

Setty's shot hit the back rim and swished the front end of the net, ending a frenzy offensive set for Ohio. 

It was a play that encapsulated the Bobcats' season to this point. They have been successful, but not 100 percent polished.   

"I thought the last two games have been huge steps forward in the maturation of this team from a toughness stand point," Ohio coach Saul Phillips said. 

Ohio's season hasn't been pretty. It hasn't been perfect. But Phillips is correct: the Bobcats have matured. 

Jumping from 10 wins to 13 may not get the public jazzed, but for the Bobcats, it's a noticeable step forward. 

"I think this was definitely our best defensive game," forward Kenny Kaminski said after Ohio's win against Kent State. Kaminski has scored 34 points in the past two Ohio wins.

"The last time we played Kent we struggled guarding the ball. I think we did a pretty good job of doing that tonight. I don't think this was our best offensive game even though we did score 72."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="16c0c55c-c4a6-11e5-aa43-2f72ae6182c5"}}

Kaminski is right, it wasn't the Bobcats best performance on the offensive end. Every time the Bobcats take the floor, it's anyone's guess as to how they will do on either end of the court. 

Ohio has matured — that's the most critical point to take away from Friday. 

With a season split of Kent State, one of the top teams in the MAC, Ohio has thrusted itself into the conference conversation. Whether teams think Ohio's play is pretty, or not, is for another debate. 

The Bobcats have a chance to move up from its fifth-place mark, sitting at 4-4 in conference play despite being 2-4 just last week.  

"Me, personally, I thought Toledo was a tone-setter," forward Antonio Campbell said. "I thought we played excellent on the road. ... We have Akron and (Northern Illinois), who we've already seen earlier in the year, coming in. I think we'll do a pretty good job, especially since we'll be at home." 

The Bobcats' upcoming games could dictate where they end up, but one thing is for sure: 'Saul Ball' has matured and Friday's — even though sloppy — possession proved it. 

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu