Ohio University Muslim Student Association’s 'Fast-a-Thon' to connect participants to poverty, faith

MSA invites students to fast and donate to support poverty stricken individuals.

The Muslim Student Association’s Fast-a-Thon is asking students to go out of their comfort zone and experience a new culture firsthand. 

With participants fasting from sunrise to sunset Wednesday, they will experience the hunger and hardships felt by low-income individuals.

“(Muslim Student Association) is trying to put up opportunities and platforms to show traditions in a more friendly way,” Hashim Pashtun, a graduate student studying environmental engineering, said.

The group will gather in Baker Ballroom at 5 p.m. A free event will follow the day of fasting to allow for reflection.

Pashtun said participants will fast, abstaining from food, drink, medication and cigarettes. They are also encouraged to donate what they would have eaten during the day to those in need.

However, even those who do not wish to fast are welcome to share a meal with the organization.

Muslims fast almost 30 days of the year during Ramadan, the holy month of fasting. Pashtun said this practice teaches self-control in not only eating but in all evil thoughts.

Pashtun encourages attendees to ask questions. He said he hopes the event will provide a comfortable space to talk about Islam.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a1156f24-66d6-11e5-8303-ab9dfd4037f4"}}

A goal of the Muslim Student Association is to educate Ohio University students and Athens about Islam. The organization encourages all Muslim and non-Muslim students and community members to take part in its events.

“We request American, domestic students take use of this opportunity,” he said.

Alena Klimas, the programming director of International Student Union, will be taking part in the event. Though she identifies as a Christian, she said she enjoys learning about how different people follow faith.

“I’m really excited to hear the Muslim students’ perspective,” Klimas, a junior studying global studies, war and peace and political science, said.

She said she looks forward to sharing a meal with her fellow students. At past Muslim Student Association events, she said she has met very interesting people and she anticipates meeting more at Fast-a-Thon.

Pashtun said the event is also meant to increase understanding of the issues surrounding poverty and aid in the development of empathy, allowing students and community members to connect to the issue in a more personal way.

“If you understand, you will have more affection, sympathy,” Pashtun said.

@graceoliviahill

gh663014@ohio.edu