OU President Roderick McDavis speaks at the Student Senate meeting Oct. 7.

Ohio University Student Senate commissioners provide updates on cultural competency classes, Bobcat Student Orientation

Ohio University Student Senate spent the first meeting of the semester discussing updates on commission initiatives like cultural competency classes and a possible increase in SAC and uFUND funding caps.

Ohio University Student Senate began Spring Semester with several announcements, presentations on Bobcat Student Orientation, the fundraiser dance Bobcathon and meeting attendance, but no resolutions.

During the meeting, senators updated the body on initiatives such as cultural competency courses and an upcoming vote to raise Senate Appropriations Commission and uFUND funding caps among other things.

“Essentially we looked at how much we gave out last semester and how much we still have and were like ‘oh, we need to up our cap a little bit,’ ” Charlotte Klimovich, SAC commissioner, said on why the commission is considering raising the cap.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a915b830-b976-11e5-8924-c711521abd94"}}

The current cap for both uFUND and SAC is set at $1,500 per event, Hannah Clouser, senate treasurer, said.

Additionally, Senate members and student groups are working with administrators to plan cultural competency classes. A pilot class will be available to students during Fall Semester 2016, Alexis Apparicio, a University Life at-large senator and OU NAACP chapter president, said.

“We’re still fleshing out the details because at the end of the day, especially the students that started this movement, we want it to be a mandatory class,” Apparicio said. “We want all university students to take it because we feel like there’s a gap, and the only way to fill that gap is if we provide it to all students.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="1b2fe672-ba24-11e5-9108-ef6a648ed95a"}}

She added that NAACP has been in close contact with the president, and the group will be meeting with OU Faculty Senate to represent student voices in the cultural competency class conversation.

Also at Wednesday night’s meeting, Senate President Gabby Bacha and LGBTQA Commissioner Paige Klatt gave a presentation about becoming a Bobcat Student Orientation leader. Applications are due Jan. 25.

"It was really, really great. Really tiring, but so much fun,” Bacha said. “I got to welcome all the new Bobcats so that made my heart sing.”

mb076912@ohio.edu

@mayganbeeler