Kenyetta Whitfield

Popular Progression: U.S. Rep. Schultz take note: Young people aren't complacent about abortion rights

U.S. Rep Debbie Wassermann Schultz might want to reconsider the definition of complacent.

The time has come for classes to start, and what a glorious time it is. Though, even with all the excitement and impending stress from professors, textbooks and 8 a.m. classes, I cannot bring myself to get over the fact that young people can never catch a break.

Yes, once again millennials have been attacked for their perceived complacency and indifference. The perpetrator this time is none other than U.S. Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz. In an interview with New York Times Magazine, Schultz said she sees "a complacency among the generation of young women whose entire lives have been lived after Roe v. Wade was decided" when asked about young women's excitement about Hillary Clinton.

After the interview was published, my Facebook feed was flooded with statuses from friends and acquaintances stunned by Schultz's assessment of young woman. The statuses were great responses to an irresponsible statement.

Are young women and young people in general complacent when it comes to abortion rights? Much of what happened in 2015 would beg to differ. When faced with the many abysmal anti-choice attacks, young people stood and fought with Planned Parenthood throughout the year. Young women told their stories, tweeted and shared statistics about how having the option of abortions is important to them. Advocate and writer Jodi Jacobson was correct in stating that rather than being complacent, young people are perhaps "frustrated, confused and yes, perhaps even exhausted from supporting candidates who too often take those voters for granted."

Schultz is a prime example of the many people in her generation who are unable to see the determination within young people of today. There are more pushes for contraception access and comprehensive sexual education than ever. There are also more people trying to normalize abortion rather than radicalize it.

In an article for Politico, Kierra Johnson, the executive director of URGE, an organization dedicated to reproductive justice, said, “Not only are young people engaged in pro-choice activism, but they’re embracing abortion as something positive. They are more unapologetic about it and are really frustrated with many politicians including pro-choice ones who let abortion be used as a bargaining chip in legislative negotiations."

And she is absolutely right. Young people are killing any and every expectation set for them when it comes to fighting for unrestricted and unashamed abortion access. On Ohio University's campus there is Generation Action, an organization directly affiliated with Planned Parenthood as well as other students who are actively working to keep abortion accessible.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9f74992c-96f3-11e5-a080-77410b47f85e"}}

So, at the end of the day the uproar over Schultz's comments were warranted. It's disheartening to the young consistently being called complacent and uncaring when their actions speak otherwise. They are politically active, and they are vocal about it. 

Kenyetta Whitfield is a sophomore studying journalism. What do you think about Rep. Schultz's comments? Tweet Kenyetta @Ken_Whitty or email her at kw162913@ohio.edu.