Post Haste

Post Haste: Drink up for Obama's State of the Union address; Ohio University student pleads guilty

The address is tonight at 9, so get ready to drink, and there is a winter weather advisory.

Good morning. Here's what you need to know for Tuesday Jan. 12, 2016.

President Obama’s final State of the Union address, which takes place tonight at 9, gives students ample opportunity to kick back with a drink just a couple days into syllabus week.  

The speech comes hot on the heels of Obama’s town hall on guns, so viewers can reasonably expect to hear about gun violence in his address.  

Take a drink when you hear Obama utter something about “common sense” gun laws or reforms. Similarly, take a drink if you hear Obama mention the gun lobby “holding Congress hostage.”

Similarly, take a drink if he talks about creating a “safer world for our kids.” Note: this rule still applies if words like better, fairer, etc. are used in lieu of “safer.”

The environment is another likely topic. Take a drink if Obama commends “U.S. leadership” in relation to the recent Paris Climate Agreement.

Guests in First Lady Michelle Obama’s guest box include the Syrian refugee who became popularly known as the “Syrian scientist” after being featured on the blog Humans of New York, as well as an activist whose partner died in the San Bernardino attacks and an Army veteran originally from Saudi Arabia who enlisted in 2006.

Therefore, you will likely hear Obama condemn hateful and divisive rhetoric toward refugees or certain religious groups. If he frames such rhetoric as something like “not who we are as Americans,” or says we can ensure our security without abandoning our values, drink.

The State of the Union often highlights the schism between the Obama administration and Congressional Republicans. If you see a prominent Republican sitting solemnly and refusing to clap, then bottoms up!

Joe Biden will claim his usual seat behind Obama, along with Speaker of the House Paul Ryan. Joe Biden’s expressions will inevitably humor viewers in some way. Treat yourself to a drink when you see something that’s so typically Joe.

Weather

Didn’t you hear? We’re under a winter weather advisory until early morning tomorrow. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

The student who allegedly threatened to “kill a cop” last semester pleaded guilty the other day. (The Post)

The Athens County Sheriff’s Office has made three drug busts within the week. (The Post)

OU student senators are trying to put together a plan to encourage students to take cultural competency courses. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times

The Ohio men’s basketball team plays tonight against Bowling Green. (The Post)

Also, men’s basketball guard Jaaron Simmons was recently named MAC East player of the week. (The Post)

You might also want to know…

David Bowie, the legendary musician, has died at the age of 69. (People)

Sen. Rand Paul is boycotting the upcoming undercard GOP debate after getting left off the main stage. (Washington Post)

Athens Bar Specials

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

The Pub: $1.50 domestic pints. $2.50 Long Islands

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.

Courtside Pizza: $2 Margaritas, $1 off all tequila shots from 4-9 p.m.

@norajaara

nj342914@ohio.edu