Post Production: Racial slurs heard, Kiser's closes, APD confirms sexual assault 'predator'

Post editors discuss top news stories for the week of Jan. 29 including a racial slur heard Uptown by an Ohio University student, the closure of Kiser's Court Street location and updates on the Athens Police Department's confirmation of a sexual assault predator in Athens.

In the first installment of Post Production for Spring Semester, Post editors Dina Berliner, Emily Bohatch and Alex Meyer discuss some of the top news stories of the week from Ohio University and Athens.

Here's a rundown of the topics discussed in this week's podcast:

Racial Slurs Heard

On Tuesday, Jan. 26, reporter Kaitlin Fochesato told the story of an OU student who, while on her way home from Uptown, heard the N-word and confronted the alleged man, who was shouting through a megaphone.

"I felt very uncomfortable, and I’ve never felt so unwanted here," Keenan Bell, the OU student profiled in the story, said.

That report can be found below.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="9027e07a-c39c-11e5-8da1-37893f3917ae"}}

Kiser's Barbecue Closing on Court Street

Students and barbecue lovers alike were shocked Monday when Kiser's Barbecue, 42 S. Court St., announced they were closing their Uptown location immediately.

What will open in its place? According to News Editor Emily Bohatch, Court Street will be graced with another pizzeria.

"The new restaurant will serve New York style pizza — by the slice for those college students on the run or by the pizza for true fans — and subs, largely modeled off of the recipes of The Pizza Place, a pizzeria in the owner’s hometown of Parkersburg, West Virginia," Bohatch writes.

See what students are saying about the change below.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a4022df2-c3a7-11e5-bb44-b7f98046a5be"}}

New OU Honors Program

The OU Board of Trustees approved the creation of a new honors program at their meeting last week.

"Ohio University’s Class of 2021 can apply to the new honors program, OHIO Honors, and undergraduate students can participate starting next Spring Semester. OHIO Honors will be administered by the Honors Tutorial College, which also administers the Office of Nationally Competitive Awards and the Cutler Scholars Program," reporter Megan Henry writes.

You can read more about the new program below.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a6a587fe-c52b-11e5-945b-cb868f595014"}}

Sexual Assault 'Predator'

The Athens Police Department held a press conference Thursday where they confirmed that a sexual assault from 2006 has been connected by DNA evidence to two more recent incidents, reporter Bailey Gallion writes.

“Clearly, the City of Athens has a predator amongst us, and that person needs to turn himself in, and he need not victimize another person in our community,” APD Chief Tom Pyle, said.

Updates on the situation can be found below.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7449a8f2-c5f9-11e5-bee5-c7c7f268a34e"}}