Erin Davoran

Senior Citizen: Harsh reality of winter matches the life of a second-semester senior

Columnist Erin Davoran talks about her wintery and challenging final semester of college.

Between class and work Tuesday, I sat in Brenen’s eating soup and reading a New York Times article on my phone while a Coldplay song played in the cafe. A girl at a neighboring table drank coffee while reading a book. Through the snow falling outside, I watched two friends wearing OU winter hats laugh as they slipped on the slick Court Street sidewalk. It was an idyllic winter day. It was cliché. It was short-lived.

When I left Brenen’s, my feelings toward the snow turned from pleased to peeved. It was no longer pretty, it was perilous. Under the bustle of car tires and hurried feet, the snow on the crosswalks had already turned to slush. This wasn’t surprising: Winter is always more wonderful through a window.

I couldn’t help but compare snow to my senior year. The expectation of snow vs. the reality of snow. The expectation of senior year vs. the reality, especially when it comes to this second semester  my last ever, as far as I know, as a student.

People expect me to be sad or excited to be back at OU. I guess I’m both, but I’m also terrified. Terrified for what comes after graduation and for all the work I have to do to get there: all the job applications, all the rejection, all the waiting and wishing and working.

I’m also terrified for my classes.

I’ve heard many college graduates say their second semester of senior year was the easiest of their entire college career. They either didn’t take a lot of classes or took super easy classes (or both). People who had or have jobs lined up before this last term say they didn’t worry or aren’t worrying about school because they already had or have employment, and isn’t that the main goal of getting a degree? To get a job?

I do not have a job lined up after graduation. I do not have a smaller course load or an easier course load. In fact, this may very well turn out to be my most academically challenging semester yet.

When I tell people this, they ask why I’m taking the classes I’m in. Why put myself through that this late in the game? Why not take it easy?

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="991b26fe-995f-11e5-9f69-fb41b95b54bd"}}

I have no plans to go to grad school. This is my last opportunity to learn from experts in the fields I want to go into. Yes, sure, I could always read books or whatever, but classes force me to do the readings, do the work, engage in the topic.

It’s my last semester as a student, so shouldn’t I BE a student?

This isn’t to say I’m not going to “live it up” in Athens for the next four months, but I don’t want to waste the last leg of the marathon that is my education.

Come back to me in April when I’m finishing my 20-30 page capstone final for my women’s, gender and sexuality studies certificate, among other papers and projects, and see if I’m still whistling this motivated tune. I probably won’t be. But for now, this is my swan song.

Erin Davoran is a senior studying journalism. Is this also your last semester in Athens? Tweet her @erindavoran or email her at ed414911@ohio.edu.