Sports Column: Stephen Curry, Draymond Green top list of players to watch this fantasy basketball season

With fantasy football over, it's time to look toward fantasy basketball. 

The start of the new year means fantasy football has come to a close, and fantasy basketball is the game that many will turn their attention to. Here is some information you should known about fantasy basketball.

By far the best fantasy basketball performer this year has been the reigning MVP, Stephen Curry. Through 36 games this season, Curry leads the league in points per game, averaging 29.5 per contest. Curry also leads the league in made three-pointers this season with 166.

If you were lucky enough to draft Curry in your season-long league, then your team should be in good shape almost midway through the NBA season. Curry is ranked as the best overall fantasy performer at this point in the season, according to Yahoo.com.

One of Curry’s teammates, Draymond Green, has also gotten off to quite a nice start for the Golden State Warriors this season. Green, who was a mid-round selection in most standard leagues, has rewarded his fantasy owners as he ranks the 11th best fantasy player this season.  

Green leads the league with eight triple-doubles and averages 15.2 points, 9.7 rebounds, 7.3 assists and 1.4 blocks per game. Green’s well-rounded play will certainly keep him near the top in fantasy basketball rankings.

A late-round surprise this year has been Portland Trailblazers guard C.J. McCollum, who is averaging nearly 21 points per game for the Trailblazers this season.

McCollum, along with backcourt mate Damian Lillard, have been carrying the load for Portland this season. Expect McCollum to keep putting up great scoring numbers as long as he healthy.

One fantasy waiver wire pickup this season that has paid off for many is the addition of Denver Nuggets guard Will Barton. Barton has been one of the few bright spots for the Nuggets this season, as he has averaged 15.8 points and six rebounds off the bench for Denver this season.

If you are looking for a player or two to pickup off the waiver wire, J.R. Smith of the Cleveland Cavaliers or Gerald Green of the Miami Heat could be valuable assets. 

Smith has been on a tear of late, averaging 22 points and nearly five made three-pointers in the past week. With the return of point guard Kyrie Irving to the Cavaliers' lineup, Smith has received more open looks around the perimeter.

As for Green, he has seen an increase in minutes due to Hassan Whiteside dealing with knee issues. Green has stepped up in his increased role, as he averaged 14 points and nearly four rebounds a game last week.

*All fantasy basketball rankings were taken from the Yahoo.com fantasy sports page.

@R_DiPaola16

rd340812@ohio.edu