Franczak

The ABCs of Greek Life: Delta Gamma photo series shows courage, inspires other Greek life members

Columnist Erin Franczak discusses how Delta Gamma's recent photo series defies stereotypes.

In their recent photo series, the women of Ohio University’s Delta Gamma chapter started an incredible journey to prove that sororities are based on more than beauty and parties. They have off set some major dominoes, and they will continue until the stereotypes have stopped and these women can feel at home without being judged for the letters they wear.

It’s time to stop judging those who choose to join organizations like Delta Gamma. DG sisters have shown the world they don’t fit the stereotypes. They have become an inspiration for all members of Greek life, and they have even contributed to the overall general campaign for more self-confidence and a better outlook on different personalities.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="beab166a-bfc8-11e5-b613-c7024ca4cc4c"}}

This adventure DG has embarked on shows strength and bravery. It demonstrates that these women can put themselves out there and show others that they are more than “the trophy wife,” “the pretty blonde” and “the girl who can’t get messy.”

When they posted the photo series, they knew there would be negative feedback and cruel words, but they still followed through for the cause. It is very disappointing that there were negative comments, but it only further illustrates the courage these women have.

These brilliant individuals took photos of themselves with the stereotype that most affected them. They then added the reason they were more than that stereotype. It was done beautifully: The color scheme was black and white, which really aided in getting the onlookers attention. The messages showed a sarcastic tone that really added to the message that these women were capable of anything. The pictures themselves were well taken. They were raw and natural: There was wearing little to no makeup, and they showed fierce expressions that should have captivated the audience.

The campaign they have created has reached more than their audience. Their pictures caught the attention of many publications globally and gave the world something to consider and talk about.

I’m curious as to the next step that the women will take and cannot wait to watch these young women grow stronger throughout the year and through their time at OU. I hope that these women can reach a larger audience and continue this amazing campaign. 

Erin Franczak is a freshman studying journalism. Have you considered attending informal recruitment events? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu.