Franczak

The ABCs of Greek Life: Informal recruiting is a more laid-back opportunity to explore Greek life

Columnist Erin Franczak breaks down how students can get involved with the upcoming informal recruiting events.

For most girls, making the plunge into Greek life is unknown and can sometimes be petrifying, which is the biggest plus of informal recruitment. It is more laid-back and really helps to meet the girls who could potentially become lifelong sisters.

Informal is great because there is less fear associated with it. Sometimes rushing in the fall is scary and intimidating because all the sororities are meeting you for limited amounts of time with tons of other girls. Informal is your chance to shine and show that you belong (which you definitely do).

• Alpha Gamma Delta is invite only, but if you're interested, talk to any of the sisters and they’d be willing to give you more details on dates and recruitments.
  • Alpha Omicron Pi has events on Jan. 27 and 29, and both are located at the house.
  • Gamma Phi Beta is having two events: Jan. 24 from 12 p.m. to 2 p.m. and Jan. 25 from 8 p.m. to 9 p.m. They are both located at the house.
  • Delta Gamma has an event on Jan. 26 and 27 located at its house at 7 p.m.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="523f9ac0-ba35-11e5-83d6-5b51efca1ad0"}}

The IFC is also taking part in informal recruitment. If you’ve never tried and just want to make some new friends, now is your chance. You never know until you try. All the events will take place on Jan. 25.

• The Beta Theta Pi is hosting “Jersey Night” at 23 S. Congress St. to watch the Cavs game.
  • The Delta Tau Delta is having a game night at the chapter house (you can email jz473414@ohio.edu for more information).
  • The Delta Upsilon men will be watching the Cavs game at the house on 32 Elliot St.
  • Check out Phi Delta Theta at 5 p.m. for a pig roast at 8 Franklin Ave.
  • There is a “Fiji Pizza Night” at 5 p.m. on 20 S. College St. There will be Avalanche pizza, a tour of the chapter house and a chance to meet the brothers.
  • The brothers of Phi Kappa Psi are hosting an event at 7 p.m. There will be Wings Over and the Cavs game will be on.
  • Phi Kappa Tau will be watching the Blue Jackets vs. Canes game at the chapter house on 50 E. State St. at 7 p.m.
  • Phi Kappa Theta will be having their first event at the roller bowl at 7 p.m. on 28 Palmer St. Pi Kappa Phi will also be at the roller bowl.
  • The Sigma Chi Brothers and the potential new members will be painting the wall (meet at the top of Baker) at 7 p.m.
  • The Sigma Pi Men will be hosting a wings and bowling night at 7 p.m. Those interested can meet at 28 Palmer.
  • Sigma Pi Epsilon will be working out and meeting new potential members at Ping. Be there at 5 p.m.
  • The Theta Chi will be hosting a “Putt-Putt Extravaganza. They will be creating a mini golf course in the chapter house on 117 E. State St. at 5 p.m.

The National Pan-Hellenic Council and Multicultural Greek communities are also looking for new recruits. The Alpha Psi Lambda will be having a get together on Jan. 26 from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m. at Baker Center, second floor. Ashley Walker, a member of Alpha Psi Lambda, loved her involvement and how connected she felt to the people in her organization. Alpha Kappa Alpha is also recruiting and if anyone is interested, they should visit the website. The Sigma Gamma Rho is also recruiting.

Erin Franczak is a freshman studying journalism. Have you considered attending informal recruitment events? Email her at ef441614@ohio.edu.