Kaitlyn McGarvey

The Reel World: 'Galaxy Quest,' starring Alan Rickman, is a must-see for any sci-fi fan

The 1999 sci-fi comedy is still hilarious years later and worth the watch.

In the lobby of my residence hall there is a moderately sized flat screen TV with cable access and a DVD player attached. Every now and then the people in my hall will make a point to sit down and watch a movie on the weekends, but typically the TV is just turned to BBC America for the sake of background noise.

If I have learned anything from casually watching television from the comfort of my residence hall’s lobby, it is that BBC America really enjoys playing reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation. Dually, if I have learned anything from reruns of Star Trek: The Next Generation, and every other sci-fi drama series ever, it is that the writers of those shows really enjoy using the same tropes over and over again.

For example, the hunky lead somehow manages to remove his shirt. The female lead has no discernible traits or responsibilities that are clearly defined. Countdowns always stop on one, and supporting characters always seem to get overshadowed by their single catchphrase. Galaxy Quest takes all of those repeated motifs and archetypes and turns them into an hour and 45 minutes of pure enjoyment.

Galaxy Quest is a 1999 sci-fi comedy starring big name actors Tim Allen, Sigourney Weaver and Alan Rickman. (Side note: For those familiar with the U.S. version of The Office, Rainn Wilson, known for his role as Dwight Schrute, can be seen among the extras. It was his first role in a film.)

The movie is about a handful of actors who used to be part of a Star Trek-esque television series called Galaxy Quest. They make a mesley living from the royalties earned from reruns and making convention appearances. However, a race of aliens locates the actors, mistaking the reruns of Galaxy Quest for historical documents and recruits them to help fend off a rival race of aliens.

Galaxy Quest is a film that even the most casual Star Trek fan can enjoy. I do not often laugh out loud at jokes in movies, but Galaxy Quest has a handful of enjoyable moments. I think that really shows that anyone, not just people who are diehard sci-fi fans, can enjoy the movie.

It also may be worth mentioning that Rickman does a spectacular job in the movie. As someone who grew up knowing Rickman only as Severus Snape, it is particularly strange to see him in a different role. Just like Snape, as with any of his characters, Rickman’s character in Galaxy Quest is snarky and monotonous. His undeniable master and understanding of the character continually shines through and makes his performance enjoyable to watch. May his legacy never be forgotten. "By Grabthar's hammer, by the Sons of Warvan, you shall be avenged."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="028cd74a-beef-11e5-a0df-6f2f82f99ed0"}}

The movie is a good choice for anyone who enjoys fantasy or science fiction films. If you like movies like Starship Troopers and Tremors, then Galaxy Quest will certainly not disappoint. The humor, acting and special effects certainly will not disappoint either. If you are not familiar with sci-fi films, I still think the movie is worth the watch. The jokes and tropes are established enough that even without extensive or previous knowledge of the genre or source material, they are still hilarious.

Kaitlyn McGarvey is a freshman studying journalism. Have you seen Galaxy Quest? Email her at km451814@ohio.edu or tweet @McGarveyKaitlyn.