Marco Omta

The Sarcastic Scoop: Why does clickbait work? Click here to find out!

Finally, an answer to the burning question we’ve all been asking.

People have been asking the same question for years: Why does clickbait work? Why am I always so interested in articles that draw me in with a title, then avoid answering the question for the first few paragraphs, and then eventually give me a rather disappointing answer without much research behind it, causing me to discover that the title was either misleading or simply written by someone who is uninformed, often quoting people and studies which are also uninformed? Many people claim they know when something is clickbait, but they click anyway because they feel as if they need to know.

Some say that clickbait does a brilliant job of fishing for our curiosity, but this most likely is incorrect. Studies show that humans aren’t curious at all, in fact people tend to think they know everything and have no desire to learn more. Others say that clickbait makes us feel as if we’re missing out on something that other people already know, but this is assuming that humans are social creatures, which is a pretty big leap.

The reality of the fact is actually very obvious, even though most people don’t realize it — and you’re going to punch yourself when you figure it out!

Clickbait is not a psychological ploy of any sort: You don’t “have to" click on it, you actually have to click on it. Clickbait, when detected by your computer, actually injects a virus into your computer’s system. That causes your mouse to move toward the title of the article, literally forcing you to click on it.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d2b6f86e-ba3b-11e5-8f74-7b5401809f4b"}}

The answer’s so obvious, it’s even in the name: “clickbait.” It baits your mouse into clicking on it, simple as that.

Clickbait is destroying the journalism industry. News is becoming less about being informed and more about what makes the most money by gaining page clicks, and therefore ad views or subscribers. People tend to think that concepts like this are harmless and should just be ignored, but in fact they are a marketing ploy intended to use the reader as a product and leave them, if anything, less informed than before by pushing some idea, agenda or pointless information idolizing celebrities upon the reader.

So, next time you see an article entitled “You Won’t Believe Whose Cats Are Turning Eight This Year,” save yourself the time and the virus. Scroll away from that filth as fast as you can.

Marco Omta is a freshman studying music production. What's the most ridiculous headline you've clicked on? Email him at mo183714@ohio.edu.