The Weekender Banner

The Weekender: Martin Luther King Jr. Weekend

We all have a long weekend thanks to Martin Luther King Jr.. The university will honor the civil rights leader with a Silent March that starts at Galbreath Chapel at 10 a.m. Monday morning. The event is haunting and powerful, and waking up earlier than you most likely planned in order to march in or witness the event would be well worth your time.

Later in the week, the University will be hosting an MLK Jr. Day of service, which is another way to celebrate the civil rights leader. Other University events can be found here.

Stories

High Definitions: In 2012, vocalist and guitarist Nick Kurth was driving back from visiting family in Philadelphia when he stopped to visit his long-time friend and drummer Jon Coale in Columbus. (Link)

Tammy Faye Play: Merri Biechler and Shelley Delaney are bringing Tammy Faye home. After having been performed in New Jersey, Washington D.C. and Cincinnati, Biechler’s play about famed 1980s televangelist Tammy Faye Bakker Messner — known commonly as Tammy Faye — is returning to Athens. (Link)

Rhonda Vincent: Rhonda Vincent started her musical career at the age of three. Little did she know that one day she would come to perform with names like Dolly Parton, Willie Nelson and Hank Williams Jr. (Link)

Events

80s Dance Night

Friday Jan. 15 10 p.m.

Casa Nueva 4 W. State St.

Open Stage

Friday Jan. 15 8 p.m.

Front Room 1 Park Pl.

Blue Pencil Stand-Up Comedy

Saturday Jan. 16 8 p.m.

Bobcat Student Lounge 1 Park Pl.

Ohio Late Nights

Saturday Jan. 16 9 p.m.

Living Learning Center 1 Park Pl.

Come on Come ons

Saturday Jan 16 6:15 p.m.

Casa Nueva 4 W. State St.

Blond and Worn Flints

Saturday Jan. 16 10 p.m.

Casa Nueva 4 W. State St.