Junior forward Hannah Boesinger fights for the ball during the game against Central Michigan on Jan. 16.

Women's Basketball: Ohio looks to regroup defensively against Kent State

Ohio looks to stay undefeated in the MAC when it plays Kent State on Wednesday night.

Having a Mid-American Conference title is nice, but it comes at a cost. Everyone is out to get you.

That has not been more prevalent through five conference games this season than Ohio’s 86-84 overtime win against Central Michigan on Saturday.

“The last week and a half has taught us that people really want to beat us,” coach Bob Boldon said.

Keeping that notion in hindsight, Boldon’s team matches up against a mediocre Kent State (3-12, 0-5 MAC) Wednesday, a team that's currently winless in the conference.

Boldon said the game will be difficult because his team will not only be on the road — Ohio’s 3-3 in road games this season — but because Kent State is going to fight to get its first victory, and which better team than Ohio (13-3, 5-0 MAC).

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a3e9b84c-be22-11e5-9723-e7ea37de2237"}}

“Playing Kent is always good,” senior forward Lexie Baldwin said. “They may not have the best record, but they play hard every game. It’s just like playing against everyone else (in the MAC).”

But Boldon’s squad is going to have to sharpen up from it's previous performance against the Chippewas. Ohio trailed from the first 11 seconds of the game to the final 11 seconds of regulation is not what Boldon wants Wednesday night in Kent. 

“The effort in the first quarter was ridiculous,” he said. “I feel funny even talking about the offense with as poor as our defense was.”

He was also extremely disappointed at giving up 84 points, the most given up this season, on his home floor. 

So against Kent, Boldon wants his team to be more focused from the start and maintain it throughout.

“We’re not making a whole new game plan,” Baldwin said. “It’s just sticking to our principles and doing what we do.”

In terms of defense, it’s stopping the dribble-drive that has been a struggle for Ohio all season but most notably against Central Michigan. And switching up the defense is not what Boldon has in mind.

His solution is to not get blown by. That is something he will focus on in Tuesday’s practice.

The defense was bad and the offense wasn’t much better last time. Maybe Ohio got the reality check it needed to remind it that it can’t just go out on the court and expect to win.

Wednesday’s game at Kent State is Ohio’s chance at redemption and a chance to extend its winning streak to nine.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu