Ohio University senior forward Lexie Baldwin attempts a basket during a game Jan. 16. The Bobcats won 86-84 in overtime.

Women's Basketball: Ohio needs another strong performance from Lexie Baldwin to get past Akron

Ohio needs strong performance from Baldwin, Black and Lampkins to stay undefeated in the MAC.

Senior forward Lexie Baldwin is more confident than she was a couple of weeks ago. She’s taking better shots and as a result, making more.

Coming off a strong performance last week, Baldwin and the Bobcats (15-3, 7-0 Mid-American Conference) are ready to return to The Convo on Wednesday night to face the current No. 2 seed in the MAC East, Akron (10-8, 4-3 MAC).

But the added pressure from nursing a 10-game win streak, as well as a program record of 7-0 in the MAC, doesn’t change the Bobcats' game plan.

Baldwin and coach Bob Boldon both said it is going to be a “business as usual” week for them.

“I think it’s exciting, playing in big games,” Boldon said.

If Wednesday is considered a "big game," Boldon needs a big performance from Baldwin.

In last weeks’ road games against Kent State and Northern Illinois, Baldwin averaged 17.5 points and recorded a double-double in the Northern Illinois game with 11 rebounds. Her 19 points against Kent State tied her career high.

“I think she got into a groove last week," Boldon said. "It was nice to see.”

A lot of things went Baldwin's way last week.

Her shooting improved in practice and that led to a strong outing during the two games.

Baldwin’s performance adds another key player to Ohio’s scoring. Just like junior guard Quiera Lampkins, Baldwin proved she can add another dimension to a Bobcat offense not lacking in scoring options.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="faeb3dde-c208-11e5-8040-3f8a994f481b"}}

"(Baldwin can) certainly alleviate some of the pressure, scoring from (Kiyanna Black and Lampkins)," Boldon said. "(She) has done her part to try and eliminate some of our rebounding deficiencies.”

Baldwin's performances come at a convenient time for Ohio, which will play the second-best team in the MAC East this week, as well as the leading team in the West. 

Boldon said that to be a conference leader, you have to win home games. A win against Akron would improve Ohio's winning streak to 11 games. 

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu