Ohio women's basketball team celebrates when one of its teammates scores during the Ohio vs. Wilmington game on Nov. 7, 2015. 

Women's Basketball: Ohio shows credentials during big win in Dekalb, Illinois

Stifling third quarter defense and balanced scoring led the Bobcats to seventh-straight win in the MAC. Ohio beat Northern Illinois 72-47. 

When senior guard Kiyanna Black took a hard charge Saturday and went down holding her face in the middle of the second quarter of Ohio's game against Northern Illinois in Dekalb, Illinois, many fans back in Athens feared the worst. 

But Black jumped back up, shook her head and sprinted back down the floor to help set the offense back up. That toughness has been exemplified by the Bobcats (15-3, 7-0 Mid-American Conference) all season, and it was once again on show when they beat the Huskies, 72-47, for their seventh-straight MAC win. 

Toughness wasn't the only thing that was evident in Saturday's win. Balanced scoring was also a big reason for Ohio's win, as four of its five starters got into double digits. Black would finish with 14 points. 

Holding the Huskies to five points in the third quarter didn't hurt either. 

The Bobcats' confidence has clearly grown after escaping close games against Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan, as more players are taking outside shots — Lexie Baldwin especially has been taking, and making, some 3-pointers — and are crashing the boards on both ends for second-chance points. 

That equates to Ohio getting better looks, which shows as it is fourth in scoring in the MAC. Ohio also owns the best scoring margin in the conference. 

After a great 3-point shooting clinic in Kent, the Bobcats fell flat against the Huskies, shooting at a 34-percent clip. The Bobcats balanced that, however, by holding the Huskies to 11 percent shooting from beyond the arc. 

With no one really challenging the Bobcats in the MAC East Division, besides possibly Akron (10-7, 4-2 MAC), Ohio's historic rise to prominence shows no signs of slowing after last season's surprise.

In terms of the MAC West, Ohio's much anticipated game is creeping up. Ball State, who leads the MAC West Division, most likely will be the hardest opponent Ohio will face in the coming weeks. Ohio will play Ball State on Jan. 30. 

@KellenBecoats

kb749012@ohio.edu