Ohio guard Quiera Lampkins (#5) dribbles the ball past Buffalo center Christa Baccas (#44) during the Ohio vs Buffalo game on March 13, 2015. Ohio beat Buffalo 63-55 during the MAC Tournament. (FILE) 

Women's Basketball: Quiera Lampkins' career-high 33 points gives Ohio first MAC win

The Bobcats defeated the Broncos, 73-63.

With 5:12 left in the third quarter, Ohio’s Kiyanna Black made a 3-pointer from the corner. 

That was Black's sixth point of the game, and she was 0-6 in the quarter prior to the make. She ended up with eight points against Western Michigan.

Despite Black's troubles from the field, however, Quiera Lampkins took over, and Ohio (9-3, 1-0 Mid-American Conference) put together a 9-0 run to take its first lead of the game.

Lampkins finished the third quarter with 22 points and eventually broke her career-high with 33 points, as the Bobcats defeated the Broncos 73-63 Saturday to open MAC play. 

“I’ve never gotten to 30 points,” Lampkins said. “I normally get to 27 and then I’m done, so it feels good to be able to make shots.”

But Ohio’s victory wasn’t easy by any means.

The game started with Ohio shooting 0-12 from the field and a poor defensive showing.

“Defensively, we were not locked in,” Bobcat coach Bob Boldon said. “We weren’t following our principles.”

And through the slow start, it was freshman Dominique Doseck that got Ohio on the board in the first quarter. None of Ohio’s starting five could find a way to produce points, and it was Doseck whom Boldon looked to get the Bobcats going.

“She was tremendous, and what a tough thing to do as a freshman,” Boldon said. Doseck finished the game with 11 points.

Once Doseck got started, it was Lampkins’ 25 points in the second half that surged the Bobcats past the Broncos (8-5) — a team the Bobcats lost to last season 61-51.

Lampkins, like the rest of the team, didn’t start out strong. But when the team needed her to take over, she did. She added six steals to her 33 points.

“It speaks a lot to her maturity and mental toughness to be able to gather herself and say, ‘I gotta get back into it,’ ” Boldon said.

Ohio returns to The Convo at 7 p.m. on Wednesday to play Ball State.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu