Claire Ballard keeps the ball away from Lauren Herron during the women's club basketball practice at Ping Center on Oct. 27. 

Women's Club Basketball: New semester means new team

Women's club basketball looks toward new semester, opponents. 

A new semester means a fresh start.

The women's club basketball team began its season this past weekend when it lost to Ohio State in two games.

The Bobcats play on a semesterly schedule, meaning their record and stats reset as each new semester comes.

Unlike many of the OU club teams, women’s basketball does not belong to an overseeing and governing body or conference.

Instead, it's independent and travels to different schools in Ohio and across the Midwest to compete in tournaments held by schools with their own club teams.

The Bobcats compete in around four to five tournaments a semester, according to team president Catherine Rachek.

“We kinda just practice and wait for a team president from another school to call us up and let us know they’re hosting a tournament,” Rachek said. “We travel a lot. Last semester we played down at Eastern Kentucky. Some of the girls underestimated how long of a drive it would be.”

Aside from Ohio’s preparations in traveling across the country, practicing and getting ready for games starts in Athens.

Ohio will lean heavily on the efforts of point guard Kristen Low. Low, the lone senior on the team, has taken a leadership position amongst her teammates and hopes her experience can help her set a good example on the court.  

“I like to take it one day at a time,” Low, said. “I make the most of it, knowing this semester will be the last time I play organized basketball … this team has a lot of potential — a lot of talent. I’m trying to set the tone and show a good example for these girls to fill my shoes when I’m gone.”

At practice, Ohio has been working with its girls on fundamental defense and stressing the importance of making free throws, according to Low.

Rachek noted that a point of emphasis for improvement this semester is working on boxing out on the glass and converting fast break opportunities into points.

One advantage the Bobcats have is their depth; they have a plethora of weapons ready to come in whenever necessary.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7200aee2-c897-11e5-a146-2f9b1062c0fb"}}

“We’re a really deep team,” Rachek stated. “We have 12 players, which allows us to use a lot of different rotations and give our girls a rest when they need it. It’s nice to have that kind of versatility.”

Club sports differ from varsity-level teams in that players at the club level aren’t playing under athletic scholarships; academics are first and foremost in the life of these student athletes, who view basketball as a side activity when they’re not hitting the books.

“We definitely put academics first,” Low said. “If a player needs to miss a practice due to (schoolwork) it’s absolutely okay. There’s obviously no repercussions on the court from putting school first.”

Obviously, any team wants to win, but Rachek understands school comes first, and she wants her girls to have a good time on the hardwood.

“Our main goal is simply just to have fun,” Rachek said.

@HahnJeremyR

jh704614@ohio.edu