Ohio redshirt senior Phil Wellington wrestles with Buffalo's Joe Ariolaon on Jan. 25, 2015. Wellington won in a 16-6 major decision. Ohio won overall 24-13. 

Wrestling: Ohio falls to Kent State

Cody Walters secures his 100th win in Ohio's loss.

There were positives for Ohio on Friday night against Kent State at The Convo, but not enough to secure a win. The Bobcats lost to their self-described biggest rival 20-15 in the dual meet.

Redshirt senior Cody Walters recorded his 100th win with a 7-3 result against Kent's Mike Vollant.

“Its an amazing feeling to say I’ve got my 100th win,” Walters said. “I’m honored to be in an elite group like this now. Its quite a feat, but I still have a lot I want to do.”

True freshman Cam Kelly had been envisioning for months what it would be like in his to beat a ranked opponent at home. Kelly beat No. 10 ranked Kent State wrestler Mack McGuire by 9-2 decision.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="2ea0a1ca-ba82-11e5-9d48-d39f6a539a2a"}}

Some of Ohio's struggled stemmed from redshirt senior Phil Wellington lost to Kent State’s Kyle Conel.

“I’m not trying to call anybody out, but you cannot lose at 197,” coach Joel Greenlee said. “When you're a fifth-year senior you need to find a way to get the win. You need to find a way to get it done.”

Even with the loss, it was hard to not take notice of the freshmen, Kelly and Shakur Laney. Both won their matches.

“Having Shakur with me as a freshman has been awesome,” Kelly said. “I love that I don't have to take this on by myself. It's awesome having the freshmen duo winning back-to-back.”

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu