Freshman Shakur Laney wrestles with Kent State's Del Vinas during the match on Friday, January 15, 2016. 

Wrestling: Ohio has opportunities to win this weekend, but it must execute

Ohio's six redshirt seniors need to be on the same page if the Bobcats want success. 

Previously ranked No. 21 in the nation, Ohio has dropped out of the NCAA Top 25 halfway through the regular season. 

This weekend will be a key to getting back on track and to make sure that the hole they have dug doesn’t get any deeper. 

Ohio (6-3, 1-3 Mid-American Conference) will host Northern Illinois on Friday at The Convo and head to Buffalo on Sunday.

Coach Joel Greenlee and Ohio could not be reached for comment, as Ohio wrestling's media day was cancelled Thursday afternoon. 

On the road Ohio is 1-2, a main reason why it has dropped out of the national rankings. Losses have come against Missouri and Central Michigan.

In order for the the Bobcats to get back on the right path, the one that leads to the NCAA Championships, Ohio will need its six redshirt seniors to lead the way.

As of lately, not all six have been on the same page.

In last weekends competition at home against Kent State, redshirt seniors Spartak Chino and Phil Wellington both lost, a rarity this season. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="5cf0cbd0-beed-11e5-9752-1ba46a45c966"}}

Wellington, 7-1 in dual meets, lost to unranked Kyle Conel. After the match, Greenlee called out Wellington, saying he needed to deliver a win in that scenario for himself and his team.

Redshirt senior Cody Walters secured his 100th victory against Kent State, however, along with winning gold at the Ken Craft Midlands Tournament.

Ohio is sixth in the MAC, ahead of Northern Illinois and Buffalo, but that doesn’t mean losses cannot still happen.

It’s pretty simple for the Bobcats: they have to win.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu