Ohio University's Phil Wellington holds down University of Northern Iowa's Basil Minto. The Bobcats defeated the Panthers 20-18 at the Convocation Center in Athens, Ohio, on Friday, February 6, 2015. 

Wrestling: Ohio trounces Eastern Michigan, 19-12, in second MAC matchup of the season

The Bobcats were led by redshirt senior Phil Wellington.

As students return to Athens from winter break and begin preparing for an array of new classes, the Bobcats are already hard at work. 

Ohio (5-1, 1-1 Mid-American Conference) had its home opener Friday, beating Eastern Michigan (7-3, 2-1 MAC) 19-12 in its second MAC matchup of the season. Ohio lost its first MAC matchup of the season to Missouri, 27-9.

The Bobcats were led by redshirt senior Phil Wellington. Wellington defeated No. 14 Anthony Abro in a 7-3 decision. That was a redemptive match for Wellington, as Abro defeated Wellington in the opening round of the 2014 NCAA Tournament.

Although Wellington led the Bobcats in the team’s second-straight win, Cody Walters, Spartak Chino and Andrew Romanchik contributed, as well. 

Walters, who was the first Ohio wrestler to win an individual title in the Midlands Championship on Dec. 31, shut out Eastern Michigan's Jacob Davis 6-0 on Friday. Freshman Cameron Kelly was dominant in his matchup, as well, winning in an 18-6 major decision.

“I think it was a great dual for us, fun to watch, and exciting to be a part of,” Ohio coach Joel Greenlee said.

Though the Bobcats have won back-to-back, Greenlee said he believes the team could’ve put more points on the board at Eastern Michigan. 

Going forward, Ohio will wrestle at Central Michigan (4-0, 1-0 MAC ) before heading back to Athens to compete against Kent State (8-3, 1-1 MAC).

“I think we need to get out there and wrestle, throw caution to the wind and who cares who wins — just go as hard as you can,” Greenlee said.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu