Jenny Hall-Jones brings volunteers from the audience up on stage in an attempt to teach them how to juggle during the Alpha Phi Omega Faculty Pageant in the Baker ballroom on Monday evening. 

Alpha Phi Omega holds seventh annual faculty pageant

Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton took home first prize after his family performance of “We Are the World.”

Monday night in Baker Ballroom was a sight to behold. Jenny Hall-Jones, interim vice president for Student Affairs and dean of students, juggled her way across stage before changing into her doctorate gown. LGBT Center Director delfin bautista performed Whitney Houston in drag. Every audience member was on his or her feet, dancing along to German children’s music.

Those antics of Ohio University faculty, however, were all for a genuine cause —  it was the seventh annual Ava Nichols Faculty Pageant, put on by the Delta Gamma chapter of Alpha Phi Omega, a national service fraternity.  

Assistant Dean of Students Jamie Patton took home first prize at Monday night’s pageant, with second place going to Stephanie Tikkanen, an assistant professor at the Scripps School of Communication Studies, and third place resulting in a tie between Hall-Jones and nursing lecturer Kim Resanovich.

The first place title was unofficially presented to Patton’s young daughter, who accepted the tiara, sash and bouquet of pink roses with a smile as she held her father’s hand.

Consisting of three main categories: formal wear, talent and a Q&A session, the pageant is held in honor of Ava Nichols, a young girl from Marietta who battled an inoperable brain tumor for two years before dying at age 6.

The talent portion of the competition showcased a variety of faculty skills and included a juggling act by Hall-Jones, an especially well-received piano ballad by Resanovich, and an “on-land synchronized swimming” performance by Tikkanen, who had help from members of the National Communication Association Student Club, which she advises.

Receiving the greatest applause, however, was Patton and his family’s performance of Michael Jackson’s “We Are the World.” Three girls stood singing quietly in the spotlight as the song began, and were soon joined by nine more members of Patton’s family, creating a chorus of young voices that drew a lengthy applause from the crowd.   

“We really just rehearsed and came up with it today,” Patton said. “That was our inspiration — love, family, and just being there for one another.”

All of the proceeds raised at Monday’s event will go to Camp Quality Ohio, a non-profit summer camp for children with cancer.

“It’s always exciting to see the students getting excited. They love going to Camp Quality. They love volunteering at Camp Quality,” Alpha Phi Omega adviser Jacob Hagman said. “So to put this on is a chance to celebrate the awesomeness that is Camp Quality, and it brings everyone together for an evening of laughing at faculty.”

Alpha Phi Omega announced during the event that it had raised $1,500 and expects additional proceeds to be accounted for soon.

Kenzi Bailey, a sophomore studying child and family studies and a member of Alpha Phi Omega, enjoyed the show and was especially excited to be supporting the cause.

“(Camp Quality) really helps people not only just deal with their illness, but it makes them feel normal, and it gives them a place of refuge, where they can get out of the hospital atmosphere and feel like a normal kid.” Bailey said.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu