Athens Asks: Ping's hot water

Athens Asks: Why does it take so long for Ping to get hot water back?

Athens Asks: Why does it take so long for Ping to get hot water back?

At the end of a hard workout at Ping Center, some students want to shower before heading home. Turning the knob and being hit with ice cold water can be surprising, leading some to ask why that happens. Where’s the hot water?

This week, we’re going to attempt to answer a question that came to us through Athens Asks, our forum where you ask the questions and The Post finds the answers: “Why does it take so long for Ping to get hot water back?”

It just so happens that Ping has a completely different water system than the residential housing buildings, but that doesn’t cause any delay, Steve Wood, the executive director of Facilities Management, said.

“I’m not aware that there’s been any concerns about how it’s taking to get the hot water back,” Wood said.

He added that a lack of hot water could be due to a lot of people taking showers at the same time.

“We do what we call circulate,” Wood said. “We regularly pump hot water through there so it should come on faster than you would get at least in a residential situation.”

The hot water at Ping is made by steam being delivered to the building, which Wood referred to as a heat exchanger. Hot water is circulated throughout the entire building and should be available for when the knobs are turned for a shower at Ping.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="61098d3e-c2de-11e5-8717-9f39925ff0b5"}}

Earlier Spring Semester, East Green residential halls experienced a power outage and a lack of hot water. Fall Semester, a few new dorms experienced hot water issues as well.

When a student realizes their dorm doesn’t have hot water, they should file a maintenance request to get the problem resolved as soon as possible.

@Fair3Julia

JF311013@ohio.edu