City council members fielded concerns from uptown business owners during its meeting Sept 8. At the latest meeting, council members discussed the future of a city pool. 

Athens City Council to discuss International Street Fair, bed-and-breakfasts in Athens

City Council will meet Monday night to host a presentation on the AMAC mural project, and continue discussion on April’s International Street Fair.

Athens City Council will meet Monday night to continue discussing topics such as the International Street Fair and bed-and-breakfasts in Athens.

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward and head of the Transportation Committee, said council members will discuss "administrative and organizational topics" about the International Street Fair. The street fair takes place on Court Street each spring as part of International Week and features multiple university organizations.

The council will also be discussing Bounty on the Bricks, an upcoming fundraiser in its fourth year, which will require the closing of one block from Union Street to Washington Street.

The fundraiser, which benefits the Southeastern Ohio Food Bank, is run by the Athens Foundation and has averaged about $75,000 in donations to the food pantry in the past.

“Part of that amount comes from a couple foundations,” Papai said. “They match whatever the community comes up with.”

The Transportation Committee will also discuss street closings associated with the upcoming "Cruise-In," an event where the city closes Court Street so that residents may bring and drive their antique cars to show them off.

The City and Safety Services Committee will also host guest speaker Jolena Hansbarger, who will present to council members about a mural project by the Athens Municipal Arts Commission. Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, is a member of the commission.

Hansbarger, an art student at OU, presented an idea to the commission regarding a possible mural for the retaining wall near ARTS/West, located at 132 W. State St., Butler said.

“Her project received funding from Ohio (University),” Butler said. “She then presented to the neighborhood association, embraced some of their feedback and tweaked the design slightly.”

Butler said Hansbarger will be presenting the final version for city council's vote.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c21a45a0-c955-11e5-bd75-871b3539305a"}}

The Planning and Development Committee, headed by Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, will also continue discussing Athens’ bed-and-breakfasts and potential amendments to the city code that would prohibit the use of hoverboards on uptown sidewalks.

The Finance and Personnel Committee, headed by Councilman Jeff Risner, D-2nd Ward, will also be discussing a number of issues, including appropriations and the municipal parking garage on East Washington Street.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu