At-large representative Pat McGee asks a clarifying question at the Athens City Council Meeting on Jan. 25. 

Athens City pool discussion continues, council members have done a lot of "soul searching"

Athens City Council continued discussion on a city pool at Monday night's meeting, and discussed the possibility of a natatorium as opposed to replacing the existing outdoor pool.

When it comes to the debate over the new Athens City pool, a lot of Athens City Council members said they need to do some "soul searching."

Councilman Kent Butler, D-1st Ward, introduced the issue that was up for second reading.

“I want to express my support for this ordinance,” Butler said. “We have this aging infrastructure that’s over 40 years old, and we just want to replace it for our community.”

Councilwoman Michele Papai, D-3rd Ward, expressed concerns over the wording of a fall 2014 ballot issue that passed regarding the city pool.

“The wording of this ordinance isn’t specific enough, and it doesn’t include a lot of what our community asked for,” Papai said. “In the fall of 2014, before the ballot went up for vote, there was quite a lot of comment about a natatorium.”

Athens Mayor Steve Patterson also had specific concerns about the possibility of replacing the old pool with a new natatorium instead of an outdoor pool.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="c3e7a44a-c3d8-11e5-9ce7-db9a335d8a63"}}

“If this is going to go forward and we choose a natatorium, there will be a deficit, so who will we have to lay off?” Patterson said. “We’re looking at having to change the job descriptions — going from seasonal employees to full-time employees.”

Patterson added that if employees were hired on full-time, the city would have to pay for their benefits.

“When you go from being a prudent service to something that is becoming a huge deficit, you’re going to have to find money by squeezing it out of other things,” Patterson said. “It could completely tank, no pun intended.”

Athens City Auditor Kathy Hecht expressed concerns over the estimated cost of the pool.

“I don’t recommend borrowing extra money, just in case,” Hecht said. “Any money that’s left after the design engineering cost would stay in that fund for the purpose of that bond levy.”

Athens citizens should have a say in where the extra money goes, and a plan should be set in place, Hecht said.

“I’ve done a lot of soul searching on this whole issue and I have to tell you, my confidence in the process has waned over the past year,” Papai said. “I don’t know really what to believe, and that’s where my confidence lacks in terms of moving forward.”

City council also continued the discussion on Airbnbs, tabling the ordinance introduced by Councilwoman Chris Fahl, D-4th Ward, because of “confusion.”

The ordinance will most likely be revised, or a new ordinance will be constructed by the Feb. 15 city council meeting.

@alyseitbe

ap490814@ohio.edu