Ohio infielder Ty Black slides in safe while stealing second base during the Ohio vs. Bowling Green game on April 10, 2015. Ohio lost 4-2. 

Baseball: Ohio claims two of three in opening weekend series

Ohio (2-0) takes the opening series against UNC Asheville, thanks to a good offensive performance.

Ohio’s offense was the key to last year's late season run that culminated in a Mid-American Conference title and an appearance in the NCAA tournament.

If this weekend’s opening series against UNC Asheville was any indicator, it looks as if Ohio’s offensive prowess has carried into this season.

Ohio (2-1) took two of three from UNC Asheville, thanks in part to a 12-run and a 14-run offensive performance in its first and second games, respectively.

It was the Bobcats second-straight opening series win over the Bulldogs.

"We swung the bat very, very well," manager Rob Smith said. "We created a lot of offense through ourselves and when they gave us extra opportunities, we took full advantage of them." 

Most importantly for the Bobcats, offense came from everywhere in the lineup, from the true freshman Rudy Rott to junior Tyler Finkler, who will be looking to get more time in Ohio's starting lineup. 

In his collegiate debut, Rott went two-for-four, including three RBIs and a home run.

"It's good to see that from young guys," Smith said. "It's good to get off to a good start. It helps their confidence. ... (Finkler) was very productive out of the nine hole and played exceptional defense." 

Much like last season, Ohio relied on multiple pitchers to get them through nine innings.

Redshirt sophomore Gerry Salisbury, who is expected to be Ohio’s ace throughout the season, went three and two-thirds of an inning, just allowing one hit and two runs, while striking out three.

Saturday’s starter, Jake Rudnicki, lasted until the fifth inning before being pulled and Sunday’s starter, Connor Sitz, lasted just into the second before allowing four runs and being pulled.

The bullpen helped carry the pitching staff this weekend. Reliever Jake Miller got the win on Friday, pitching one and one-third innings, allowing one hit and no runs. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="173a4db4-d5fe-11e5-b55f-07ccdf192da5"}}

Reliever Logan Jacik got the win on Saturday, going two and two-thirds of an inning and allowing no hits or runs. 

"We definitely did better out of the bullpen then in the starting roles," Smith said. "We didn't get anywhere near a quality start the entire weekend. A lot of free bases, a lot of walks. It's something we definitely have to improve on, but there were some encouraging performances from the guys who pitched out of the bullpen this weekend." 

Ohio will travel to Birmingham, Alabama to take on UAB next Friday for a three-game series.

@efelderstein14

ef684013@ohio.edu