Senior Aunjanna' Million delivers a dramatic monologue at the 4th Annual Black Diamond Awards in Walter Rotunda on Sunday. Million performed an original piece called "Queen," which focused on black female empowerment. 

Black Diamond Awards honor black women at Ohio University

Black Student Union hosted the fourth annual Black Diamond Awards that presented eight awards to black women and promoted diversity on campus.

Morgan Peterson wants other black women to know that Ohio University recognizes them and their accomplishments.  

“We see you. We care,” Peterson said during the Black Diamond Awards.

Black Student Union held the sold-out fourth annual Black Diamond Awards on Sunday, an award show that focuses on recognizing the accomplishments of black women on campus.

The event started with an introduction from Peterson, president of Black Student Union, and Marcus Cole, historian of Black Student Union.

“It’s important to empower black women because there are so many things out in the world that are depowering black women,” Cole said. “I think when other black women see the work of other black nominees being recognized for their achievements … it promotes you to do better as a person.”

Members of the Athens Black Contemporary Dancers performed after the introduction, and then the attendees were dismissed for brunch.

Black Student Union made changes to this year’s Black Diamond Awards by turning it into a brunch, Peterson said. Peterson said the event means everything to her, and she was happy with the turnout because the event helps bring the black community together.

“Not even just for the black community — it helps Ohio University kind of see their African-American counterparts … because sometimes we’re not, as minorities, always visible in this community,” Peterson said. 

Eight awards were presented throughout the event. Winsome Chunnu-Brayda, strategic director for diversity and inclusion and multicultural programs, won the Outstanding Faculty/ Administration/ Staff Award. Other awards included the Academic Award, Activist Award, Campus Involvement Award, Community Service Award, Outstanding Graduate Award, Performing Arts Award and Miss Congeniality Award.

Peterson's mother, Rhonda Peterson, gave an impromptu speech about the pride she has for her daughter and black empowerment.

“It’s as though I have a sense of peace and joy because I see all the fruits of my efforts, and I want to give her credit as well,” Rhonda said. “I see her walking in maturity, and ultimately it was like OU was the right choice because I knew she’d thrive wherever she went. If she loved the school, she’d thrive there.”

Black Student Union also showed a video called “Why We Love Black Women.” The video described important characteristics of black women and why they should be appreciated.

Janelle Simmons, member of the Board of Trustees, was the keynote speaker at the event and gave a speech about overcoming adversity. Jimesha Mills, a fifth-year senior studying health services administration, said Simmons' speech was the highlight of the event.

“It was really empowering and really assuring,” Mills said. “It gives you an extra boost that you might need for people who are going through something as well. I think that it was much needed because we don’t get as much acknowledgement as I think we should on this campus.”

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="a892bac6-d69e-11e5-83ee-9b7099338d0c"}}

Shari Clarke, vice provost for diversity and inclusion, said she is proud of Black Student Union for the work the group put into the event. The Black Diamond Awards, she said, empower and reaffirm women on campus and puts them in groups that reaffirm who they are.

“It’s just really special to be able to put something on because I know a lot of campuses don’t have celebrations like this, of a diverse group of people on their campuses,” Cole said. “So it’s just special to be a part of bringing this all together for the campus.”

— Carl Fonticella contributed to this report.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu