Sophomore Gwen D'Amico, center, expresses her frustration during a discussion about OUSAP at FRC's meeting in the Women's Center on Thursday, Feb. 4, 2016. During the meeting, members discussed potential plans for a "F--k the Patriarchy Day" and a new mental health coalition that would support CPS. 

F--kRapeCulture members talk mental health coalition, 'F--k The Patriarchy Day' at meeting

The activist group is brainstorming a potential mental health coalition in collaboration with other OU entities.

F--kRapeCulture, the activist group that focuses on the problem of rape culture and sexual assault on Ohio University's campus, hopes to incorporate mental health awareness into its plans for this semester.

"We want to be helpful activists when it comes to mental health,"

F--kRapeCulture member Sasha Gough said at the group's meeting Thursday.

The group is brainstorming a potential mental health coalition to supplement OU Counseling and Psychological Services. F--kRapeCulture plans to reach out to other activist groups on campus for this purpose, Gough, an Athens resident, said.

"That way everyone can get their words in and see a better future for students at Ohio University," she said.

The group wants to use a coalition to discuss topics such as the effects of racial tension on college campuses, suicide awareness and addiction recovery, among others.

The group also discussed potentially involving the Heritage College of Osteopathic Medicine and the OU Music Therapy Department to help raise mental health awareness. Gough said in addition to activist groups, F--kRapeCulture members also want to involve groups that have connections to people they might not have reached out to before, including people who may not be fond of activism or comfortable participating in it.

"It doesn't have to be (activist-oriented)," Gough said. "Just trying to get everyone talking about it is all I really want."

Carly Fallon, a junior studying exercise physiology, said she thinks a mental health coalition would be beneficial to campus, especially with recent sexual assaults in the area. She said it would help people struggling with these issues to have an outlet to talk about it.

"I think that it would be helpful," Fallon said. "They could talk about it and be more comfortable if they do."

The coalition would most likely be officially sponsored by F--kRapeCulture, but would allow the individual participating groups to have their own activities such as poster campaigns, speakers and other events. The group wants to give individual groups the freedom to work in their own way toward a common goal. 

"(It should be) a series of coordinated actions," Claire Seid, a junior studying sociology and a member of F--kRapeCulture, said.

Gough also said it should be a collaborative effort, adding that Counseling and Psychological Services doesn't necessarily have the resources to facilitate a coalition itself, which is why she wants to see F--kRapeCulture help out.

"(CPS) wants to do all these things but they don't have the time, money or staff," Gough said. 

The lack of resources for CPS raises questions about the university itself and where it is allotting its money, Gough said, and the group hopes to "dive into what they are doing with our money."

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="db7759f8-99d9-11e5-b749-a74f34c4f177"}}

Aside from the mental health coalition, F--kRapeCulture also used the meeting to discuss a potential "Athens National F--k The Patriarchy Day." The group will use the coming weeks to look into funding and promotion for the event, which they hope will take place soon after Spring Break.

Gough said the day would include multiple events, potentially involving a rally or march, although no plans have been solidified.

"(We want) things that are definitely against the patriarchy but in whatever facet you prefer," Gough said.

The group will continue to discuss possible plans for the event and solidify them in the coming weeks. 

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu